Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2004, 10:50 PM

Default Re: books on no limit holdem\'

Completely agree with maurile

McEvoy /Daugherty book was the first book I picked up on NLHE - gotta say im not sure just exactly what (if anything) i use from reading that book in my game now!!!

So far the best book I've read is the already recommended Pot-Limit and No-Limit Poker by Rueben and Ciaffone. This book has a lot of great concepts in it. I found it good to absorb these and then go through a book like How good is your Pot-limit holdem. This book is full of actual hands, a “what would you do” exercise, followed by analysis – I crossed this book with the previous one to get me thinking about points being made and seeing if i agreed with them from what i learned from the pervious book. Dont worry about it being pot limit as the difference from NL is disscussed in the other book also. If you like what Ciaffone writes (and why wouldn’t you) then I also suggest you check out his posts for cardplayer magazine online.

I have also recently “flirted” with super system – my results have actually been damaging, although I have suffered a high amount of beats when ive had way the best of it this month…..it has been a way different experience to playing as Ciaffone suggests, a lot more simplistic and nerve racking....bet, bet, reraise, allin, pray!!! lol. I did like the section on how he plays his suited connectors though, I’d been calling relatively cheaply to inside str8s to bust AA or KK but always folding middle pair when in some circumstances I may have 5 outs instead of 4 to do the same!!!!

I have just posted on here asking people whether or not they think Harrington on Holdem is ok for ring games - it is of course geared towards tournament play so im not sure if total assimilation into a ring game would help or hinder but like the previous guy says - there are more hand examples with evaluations from an awesome NLHE player....enough said i think!!!

Nothing new for ya but hoped it helps!!!
Old 12-29-2004, 11:37 PM

Default Re: books on no limit holdem\'

thanks folks for the great feedback............h