Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2004, 02:13 AM

Default Re: How Stupid Are They ????

Ryden, the difference between surgeons and poker players is that if I know nothing about surgery I can't actually do it... but people can say the stupidest stuff and then drag in a pot.
Old 12-29-2004, 02:33 AM

"women dealers"

I have actually seen some of these.

-Michael
Old 12-29-2004, 03:22 AM

It's probably because your poker knowledge and skill continues to grow at a steady rate and the fish will forever be stranded at the same level of stupidity.
The fish haven't changed, you have. On your 1,000th hand of poker a statement someone (who is playing poker for the first time) made to you can seem "odd". On your 10,000th hand, that same statement (by someone who is playing poker for the first time) will seem "ridiculous". By your 500,000th hand, that same statement made by the same 1st timer will be so mind-numbingly stupid that you find yourself unable to even comprehend the plane of retardation from which this person is formulating thoughts. And it'll just keep getting worse.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's this kind of idiocy that is a big reason why I frequently dislike playing B&M poker.

The people that are complete idiots are the one's you want in your game...but it's difficult for me to like them as people if I can't respect them due to their extremely stubborn incompetence.

[/ QUOTE ]

They give you money to like them. It's like being a prostitute but without the STDs.
Old 12-29-2004, 03:03 PM

It's gambling. Gambling just brings out the stupidity in people.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:33 PM

Ahhh...the problems and pitfalls we INTPs and INTJs have to endure! Where is Dr. Al when we need him??
Old 12-29-2004, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's this kind of idiocy that is a big reason why I frequently dislike playing B&M poker.

The people that are complete idiots are the one's you want in your game...but it's difficult for me to like them as people if I can't respect them due to their extremely stubborn incompetence.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm the exact opposite. I would play in B&M all the time if it were more profitable. The idiots I play with live are usually pretty likable. It's like playing with Woody or Coach from the TV show Cheers.

It's also entertaining to hear people's explanations of why they're losing ("Deuce-six offsuit is my favorite hand. I won a huge pot with it one time, so now I always play it") Online, you don't usually get that.

People are very stupid outside of poker, too. I just look at it like all those moron drivers who routinely piss me off while driving all pay me back by playing poker with me. It's like stupid tax.

Poker does take some time to understand. You can sit at a table for hours and see AA cracked five times while watching the guy playing random suited cards continuously rake in big pots with flushes. You really do need experience and intelligence to understand winning poker.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:24 PM

If you read Dr. Al's book, you will learn that a lot of people out there really don't play poker just to win money. A lot with playing poker is the entertainment aspect of it, something a lot of professionals and serious players tend to neglect over time as they learn more and more about the game.

Most people who play poker aren't dumb. Dumb people wouldn't be able to comprehend and grasp poker quick enough to play the game. They wouldn't even be able to grasp the mechanics.

You could say there are a lot of ignorant people when it comes to playing poker. But that is the nature of the game brings. The game is so visual, that it's much easier to accept seeing the fallacy rather than accepting the truth.

Lawrence
Old 12-29-2004, 07:40 PM

VoP = Voice on Phone. He is highly agitated.

VoP: My computer won't boot.
Me: Ok, is the power light on the front on?
VoP: Yes.
Me: Ok, is the power light on the monitor on?
--(I've done this before)--
VoP: Yes!
Me: Ok, do you see anything on the monitor?
VoP: Of course, you idiot! I see my desktop!
Me: Ok, so the computer is booted to the Operating System.
VoP: NONONO! I told you already, it won't BOOT!
--(yelling at this point)--
Me: Yes sir, I heard you. What Operating System do you use?
VoP: I use Microsoft Office!
Me: Yes sir, but what Operating System?
VoP: I just TOLD YOU!! MS WORD!
Me: Ok, click on the start menu for me.
VoP: What the F***?!?! This isn't a PC, it's a Mac!!
Me: Oh, sorry sir, I'm not familiar with those, I'm not smart enough.
VoP: ....
Me: Let me transfer you to our superior Macintosh Technicians.

<insta-hold>

<explain situation to coworker, both laugh until tears>

<transfer call to coworker after composure is regained>

<coworker gets a polite, calm customer because he's much smarter than I>

Yes, they really are that stupid. Some of the "tech" questions I got working a help desk made me wonder how those people managed to cross the street. People putting floppies in the CDROM, people *opening* a 3.5in floppy ("It was really difficult to get out of the case") and putting the raw media into the drive because they remember the old 5.25 disks with the slipcovers. Totally unreal.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ahhh...the problems and pitfalls we INTPs and INTJs have to endure! Where is Dr. Al when we need him??

[/ QUOTE ]

Be glad you're not an eNFj. Then you'd care about their lack of knowledge and it'd pain you not to tap the aquarium...