Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2004, 02:18 AM

Default AK, two-tone board, pot-bet called

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) converter

SB ($0)
BB ($68.85)
UTG ($49.15)
UTG+1 ($62.15)
UTG+2 ($57.05)
MP1 ($50)
MP2 ($30.1)
MP3 ($52.05)
CO ($115.3)
Hero ($184.55)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. UTG posts a blind of $1.
UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls $1, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, BB calls $3.50, UTG (poster) folds, UTG+2 calls $3, CO calls $3.

Flop: ($17) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+2 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $15</font>, BB folds, UTG+2 calls $15, CO folds.

Turn: ($47) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Now what? Villain hasn't done anything out of line in 2-3 orbits. The reasonable hands IMO are flush draw and set, maybe, maybe K9 (or KdQx). Is there any alternative to pushing here? If it's a flush draw, I want to charge it as much as possible, and if I underbet, i may get bluffed at by any kind of crap that I have to call anyway. FLush draw has to be more likely than a set IMO. If I goofed anywhere else, let me know that too.
Old 12-28-2004, 03:46 AM

Default Re: AK, two-tone board, pot-bet called

Being in position you get to see his action...

I'm assuming he checks ?

Villain has 37ish left, and the pot is 47. I dont mind pushing here, thats OK. Any other bet essentially commits you to calling him if he raises (with a hand that beats you) and "allows" a draw to take a cheaper card off (and thus fold if misses, pop it in if hits) so no other bet makes sense. This is what I'd do:

When I know a player to be capable of trickery / very passive / loves to slowplay, (and thus go check-check with a set) I'll often check behind on the turn. Unfortunately you pretty much have to call him on the end unless he never bluffs at a missed flush and the river is a blank.

Against a player who is somewhat aggressive, and would've put a bet SOMEWHERE in with a set, (99 or 22) I'll just move in on the turn. The T doesn't change anything, (discounting KT) and it's possible they'd still call with K-X.

Really, it's whatever you feel like, putting them in or checking with the intention of calling a bet unless a diamond falls, in which case it's player dependant.

Another reason checking is OK is because if they're in there with K/weak they have only 3 outs, and it's unlikely you will get value from a turn bet, and thus entice them to value bet / throw a blocker on the river, which profits you a bit. Either/or works, just to reiterate.
Old 12-28-2004, 04:26 AM

Default Re: AK, two-tone board, pot-bet called

Yes, he checked. The converter ate some things. I thought about checking behind, but I didn't have enough of a read to know what a river bet on a blank would mean. Maybe I could get out for 20 instead of 37 if he underbet, but then I lose all value against flush draw hands (again, not enough of a read to know how he'd play one.. would he call the flop, would he gamble the turn.. which would be a great reason to push). I just felt like a lamb being led to the slaughter (he had 99) and I was trying to see if I were missing an obviously better line along the way.