Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2004, 02:58 AM

Default Re: Do I suck??? (50K hands at 1/2 with 1BB/100)

Interesting thread. I 've made just under 1BB/100 hands in the 15-30 game over about 50 000 hands.
I think you still need a larger sample size to draw solid conclusions. One big losing/winning session can have a big impact on your BB/100 hands ratio. One minute you think you're gonna be rolling in dough the next you're going broke [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] . Once you get enough data that 40bb losses don't impact your win rate much you'll have a good idea where you stand.
How many tables are you playing?
Old 12-26-2004, 11:10 AM

3 at a time. But don't feel I have problems keeping focus. But I may be wrong.
Old 12-26-2004, 12:21 PM

you sound mediocre, but of course above average as you are winning and paying rake at the same time. That combined with bonuses/rakeback aint too bad for plaing a video game [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].
Try reading a few more books, especially ones geared towards maximizing profits at loose passive games usually found at the low limit games. In truth you should be able to beat it for at least 3-5 BB / 100
Old 12-26-2004, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I find it quite difficult when to continue being aggressive on the turn, if the free card play succeded, but the turn didn't help out.

[/ QUOTE ]

The free card play doesn't succeed until you get a free look at the river. You already paid for the turn.

Martin
Old 12-27-2004, 08:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I find it quite difficult when to continue being aggressive on the turn, if the free card play succeded, but the turn didn't help out.

[/ QUOTE ]

The free card play doesn't succeed until you get a free look at the river. You already paid for the turn.

Martin

[/ QUOTE ]

what I mean is, when it is checked to me on the turn, even though the turn didn't improve my hand, sometimes I should bet, trying to take the pot right then and there. I just don't know when these times are.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:31 AM

SSHE covers this quite well.

As a general rule...if it's checked to me on the flop and I have a draw then it's betting time.
If there's only 1 caller of my flop bet and he checks to me on a non-scary turn then there's probably a decent chance he will fold to the double-size turn-bet. This is read and situation-dependent of course.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:38 AM

This turned out to be a long post, but its worth the read for small stakes players.

This is an interesting question, and one that I have some fairly uneducated advice for. I've been a winning small stakes NL player on Party for over a year. For a large part of the past year, it has been my main source of income, albiet not a huge source. I've never really applied myself to poker. I've never read any books or posted any hand histories on these forums. Part of this is laziness, part of this is the fact that a lot of books only address limit and I've been wining anyway at NL.

The point of this post is that I took a break from poker a few months ago. I'm in university, so I don't have a whole lot of cash to sustain a bankroll while paying rent/drinking my face off. Anyway, after a few months off I bought back in with evey penny I had. This amounted to 145 dollars. Because of the lack of bankroll I decided to stay away from my traditional Party 25NL and play .5/1 limit to build up my role while doing some whoring. I got a little coaching and set out on my way to crush limit poker.

Now its important to realize at this point that I have only begun recently to keep accurate pokertracker stats. So I have about 15k hands from my limit adventure. My VP$IP was around 15 for this limit and my PF raise was 6.5. Like I said, I'm not a limit player, but it shouldn't take a good limit player to beat Party .5/1. Anyway, I plugged along on my new journey winning about 3BB/100 and enjoying myself. Then in one afternoon I went on a 150BB losing streak. Through meditative techniques and long hours of NL swings I have become completely immune to tilt, so this was not the case. I just lost a whole lot of money to a whole lot of chumps.

To combat this setback I decided to plug away and play even more. Mediocrity ensued. By the time I had closed in on 15k hands my win rate was down from 3-4BB/100 to a whopping 0.24BB/100. Despite my being aware that this is far too small a sample set to be accurate, it is embarassing to me as a human being that this limit had kicked me so hard in the balls.

At this point I had whored all the party skins, so I had a couple hundred bucks. I withdrew my roll from the limit world at sat back down at the comfy confines of the Party 25NL tables.

Then a funny thing started happening. My aces and kings were taking down huge pots instead of getting sucked out on. I was taking stack after stack off of players who threw thier chips all-in preflop because they thought thier Q7o was pretty sharp. I was once again winning at poker. After the same amount of hands in 25NL (15K) my BB/100 is 6.0

The moral of this very long story is that to the player who understands all the concepts of poker but hasn't educated himself thoroughly, NL is often the best option. It seems to me that you can push your edges on known fishes far more in NL than in limit. Try it out sometime. Numbers don't lie... unless they are really small sample sets... like mine are... but just ignore that.

Good luck!
Old 12-27-2004, 01:50 PM

My experience is quite similar. 'Cept try as I might I cannot like the ugly clunky Party interface, but don't get me started. ;p My BB in limit games has been 4.18 over the past 10k games, whilst my BB in NL/PL has been over 4x that in the last 8.3k games. While I realize it's entirely too small a sample to draw any concrete conclusions...save perhaps that I'm more suited to NL/PL than limit, this has just been since I got PT. It feels quite similar to what I've been at all along. Limit games simply do not allow you to get the most out of your small edges like NL/PL does.