Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2004, 06:30 PM

Default Whiffed River Value Bets?

Still struggling with river betting sometimes.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

River: (7.75 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 7.75 BB

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP calls, Hero calls, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds, UTG folds, MP calls.

Turn: (6 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB folds, MP calls.

River: (8 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 8 BB
Old 12-26-2004, 06:51 PM

Default Re: Whiffed River Value Bets?

I was about to say that I bet the river on the last one, but it's tough to say with two opponents who have been calling all the way. Against one, I bet...but they could have been calling with second pair or a weak Queen and the possibility that either has one scares me and makes me check the river.

Second hand, I think I raise the flop here most of the time, largely depending on whether MP is tight and might be limping with a better Ace (not usually the case). I think I bet the river against one opponent who bet the flop and then entered call down mode. Smells of a REALLY weak ace, like A2 or A3.
Old 12-26-2004, 07:09 PM

First one I check, but it is close. Second is an easy bet IMO.

-SmileyEH
Old 12-26-2004, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First one I check, but it is close. Second is an easy bet IMO.

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup.
Old 12-26-2004, 08:30 PM

I am betting both.
Old 12-26-2004, 08:51 PM

I'd check the first one.
The 8 on the river means you don't beat many hands that would call you.

Qx and 8x beat you.

You beat players calling with 7x and random hands. I guess if you think they are the kind of players that would call all the way to showdown with random cards then you can bet. Otherwise - in most cases I believe - it is a check.

Second hand I'd bet.
Old 12-27-2004, 06:03 AM

hand one I check. Hand two I bet.