Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2004, 04:02 AM

Default Re: CPU recommendations, please

[ QUOTE ]
yea you need new everything at that point. I can build one from scratch btw [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]'

Dont get so high and mighty. So can I... and have.. several times. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-27-2004, 04:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Newegg is the best for shopping.

[/ QUOTE ]

www.pricewatch.com is the place to go. You probably already know this, but they compile the prices from almost all online computer parts sellers.

NOTE- Looks like the site has been recently updated.
Great site. I use it all the time.
Old 12-27-2004, 05:42 AM

I used pricewatch in the past but now shop at newegg exclusively. Their prices will be competitive with any other site on the net. It is nice to order and receive all your stuff at the same time. They get their shipments out promptly and have a reliable return system. I recommend it to anyone shopping for computer needs.
Old 12-27-2004, 05:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I recommend it to anyone shopping for computer needs.

[/ QUOTE ]

As do I. Newegg usually has very good prices and is definitely a quality site.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:27 AM

Pricewatch is unbeatable if you are looking for the best prices (without using rebates). Newegg.com has great prices and the service/shipping speed is damn near flawless. If you want the absolute best prices and you are willing to do rebates slickdeals, dealslist, techdeals, techbargains is the way to go. If you shop there you can consistently find deals like

Seagate 160GB HD $50AR, 200GB $70AR

Various XBOX, PS2, GC Games $15 shipped (Zelda, Metroid etc)

Belkin Wireless-G Broadband Router Free after $60MIR

You can't beat that.
Old 12-27-2004, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So what I want to know is what's the minimum I should get?

[/ QUOTE ]
This is the wrong way to look at this. What you should be asking is, "What's the most I can afford?" That's what you should get. If you go with the minimum for now, then you'll be doing this all over again in a year.
Old 12-27-2004, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you go with the minimum for now, then you'll be doing this all over again in a year.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very true.
Old 12-27-2004, 11:55 AM

I would recommend buying the best motherboard you can find.

For your use, 32 bit processing is going to be enough. So whatever the best Asus socket A mobo is will do just fine. I don't recommend going all out on the CPU. Getting a decent chip now is fine. If you have a good motherboard it's too easy to swap out chips later on. When you can by a AMD 2500+ for $70 you can't go wrong. That is enough power to play Halflife 2 and Doom 3, and it is a lot more than you will need for poker, e-mail, surfing, etc.

AMD prices

Unless you have an AMD compatible heatsink, go with a retail set.

For Ram get a 512 MB stick. Don't get 2x256 MB sticks. The single 512MB will allow you to upgrade easily in the future simply by sticking another stick in your mobo.

1 mobo, 1 512 MB Ram, 1 AMD 2500+ CPU, 1 heatsink should be around $210. Unless you are gaming, this machine will last a long time.

The nice thing about the asus board is it has Asus probe. It monitors the voltage comming out of your powersupply. Sour power is the #1 reason for RAM and several other forms of hardware failure.
Old 12-27-2004, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can't just upgrade a CPU unless your motherboard is compatible with the new CPU. Since you said your current setup is really slow, it's doubtful you'll be able to upgrade the CPU without also upgrading the motherboard. New motherboards run DDR memory that will mean you're old memory probably won't work with it. All this is said with my assumption you're running something fairly old with PC100 type memory. Personaly, I'm running an AMD Barton 2500+ overclocked to 3200+ ($85) on a Biostar M7NCD motherboard ($50) with a stick a couple sticks of 512 PC3200 memory ($75 each). I bought all the stuff from newegg.com. In fact, I ordered a stick of memory from then on 12/22 and received it on 12/24. I read that people are pushing the AMD mobile chips for desktop use too.

If you tell me (us) your current setup and budget, I (we) might be able to come up with a good upgrade plan for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's my exact setup at home (except i have the 2600 in one computer and the 2500 in another).
Old 12-27-2004, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
yea you need new everything at that point. I can build one from scratch btw [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]'

Dont get so high and mighty. So can I... and have.. several times. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

And I've been doing it since I was 11, everybody and their mom can build a computer these days.

I'd suggest using Newegg for everything. I used to use PriceWatch but got tired of cheapo vendors screwing me over. If you do choose to use PriceWatch don't forget www.resellerratings.com.