Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2004, 01:09 AM

Default AJo in the BB, questionable raise

SB is 45 VPIP /AF of around .5 in the orbit or so he's been at the table.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, CO folds, SB calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, SB calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: (5.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB

SSH recommends the pre-flop raise out of the BB in tight games, but not loose games. This was a pretty loose table, so I may have been wrong to do so.

I missed the flop, but raised with two overcards hoping for a free card if I remained unimproved there. I probably would have folded to a bet on the turn as I think my jacks may have been dirty if he was drawing to a straight. The river seemed a no-brain raise at that point.

Having said that, I'm still checking for leaks (although the downswing seems to be pointing north for the moment).

Comments on all streets welcome and appreciated.
Old 12-24-2004, 01:15 AM

Default Re: AJo in the BB, questionable raise

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

An orbit does not a player make.

I might have just knocked pre-flop. Other than that you did goot. Welcome to the forums.
Old 12-24-2004, 01:19 AM

I don't care for the preflop raise but I've seen worse.

Flop and turn play is fine. If SB were tighter I'd bet the turn if I thought there was a 20% chance he'd fold. I don't think I would raise the river, a hand like A9 or AT is going to punish you here if that's what he's got. I think second or third pair will fold to a river raise here as well.
Old 12-24-2004, 01:22 AM

River raise has zero value. Either he is bluffing and will fold or he has made aces up and will call or reraise.

Brad
Old 12-24-2004, 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
River raise has zero value. Either he is bluffing and will fold or he has made aces up and will call or reraise.

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta disagree. Remember, this is PP micro. Guy could call with bottom pair.
Old 12-24-2004, 01:43 AM

I see what shillx is trying to say, but I still think the river raise is alright. I think you'll see JT, QT KT, K9 etc.. call enough here to make the raise ok.
Old 12-24-2004, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

An orbit does not a player make.

I might have just knocked pre-flop. Other than that you did goot. Welcome to the forums.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I know, but I thought I would offer any read I had on him. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

And thanks...I've been trolling for while now.
Old 12-24-2004, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't care for the preflop raise but I've seen worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

That might have been my biggest dilemma in the hand. SSH has you raising in EP to limit the field, but since it was already limited for the most part, I think I was trying to put those bets in there as if I had raised from EP. That may have been wrong though. I'm not good enough at this point to know.
Old 12-24-2004, 02:16 AM

I see what you both are saying here, and I don't play micro limits for the most part so I could be way off.

If the villian had a ten or a nine, I'm thinking that he would check/call given that our hero figures to have an ace. Too me this bet either means nothing or monster. Also consider that if he does have our hero beat, that it will cost him 2 BB to raise (if the hero calls the 3-bet) while the reward is just 1 BB if the villian calls the raise.

Brad