Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2004, 03:06 PM

Default More exciting river play!

...and I'm spent. Button is LAG (81% VPIP, 5% PFR, 2.1 Postflop-Aggression). BB is loose and short-stacked, and will bet a wide range of hands in a wide range of situations (my K's and J's are both usually good here). Preflop raise is standard for me 7-handed, for those who might want to jump on my case. Table is tightening up with the exception of Button and BB.

1) Flop call -- meh? Bad?
2) River call. All I beat here is J8, which is a plausible holding but given the flop raise seems somewhat doubtful.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Button calls.

River: (15.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 17.25 BB
Old 12-23-2004, 03:11 PM

Default Re: More exciting river play!

I'm curious, it doesn't seem to be correct to cap on the turn. I don't think it is really a value raise, but I'm not so sure. Please explain.
Old 12-23-2004, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm curious, it doesn't seem to be correct to cap on the turn. I don't think it is really a value raise, but I'm not so sure. Please explain.

[/ QUOTE ]
Against a LAG, I think I'm best well over 66% of the time here. He'll have QJ or QK or AQ or Q6s (really, any number of hands, and possibly something like A9s sometimes as well) much more often than he'll have QT/Q9/TT/99.

Rob
Old 12-23-2004, 03:15 PM

turn cap is fine.. he has a great hand. he'd then bet-call a river blank.

river sucks. check-call for sanity or check-fold.

flop call, meh. i don't like it without a read that he's an all-in monkey.
Old 12-23-2004, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
turn cap is fine.. he has a great hand. he'd then bet-call a river blank.

river sucks. check-call for sanity or check-fold.

flop call, meh. i don't like it without a read that he's an all-in monkey.

[/ QUOTE ]

For reference, spider, he'd bet a lot of hands into me. The only one I doubt he'd bet here is a Q. I'm not sure whether that turns this into a raise or a call, since I'm possibly slightly behind, but with too many outs to fold.

Rob
Old 12-23-2004, 03:26 PM

call is alright if he'll just keep pushing. you can't always fear a raise behind.
Old 12-23-2004, 03:32 PM

First flop call looks okay to me. You have almost enough outs to play against trip Qs (I make it 4Ts plus backdoor flush) at the 7.5-1 odds you're getting, and there's no particular reason to fear that at this point, so add something for you K outs as well. Even if button has trip Qs for his raise, and again no compelling reason to put him on that if he's LAGy, you're getting 10.5-1 odds for the second call.

Turn seems routine, you have the nuts at this point, barring a full house out against you.

You seemed doomed on the river, but I'd call anyway for this pot, couldn't sleep otherwise.
Old 12-23-2004, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...and I'm spent. Button is LAG (81% VPIP, 5% PFR, 2.1 Postflop-Aggression). BB is loose and short-stacked, and will bet a wide range of hands in a wide range of situations (my K's and J's are both usually good here). Preflop raise is standard for me 7-handed, for those who might want to jump on my case. Table is tightening up with the exception of Button and BB.

1) Flop call -- meh? Bad?
2) River call. All I beat here is J8, which is a plausible holding but given the flop raise seems somewhat doubtful.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Button calls.

River: (15.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 17.25 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

You beat a bluff. A guy with his #'s could be on a stone cold bluff enough to warrant calling in this huge pot. Sanity call.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:17 PM

I don't like your preflop call. With the button left to act behind you, getting 7.5:1 with no pair, a gutshot and a backdoor flush on a paired board, I'm gonna cut my losses right there.

EDIT: Yes, I'm an idiot and mean your flop call instead of your preflop call.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like your preflop call. With the button left to act behind you, getting 7.5:1 with no pair, a gutshot and a backdoor flush on a paired board, I'm gonna cut my losses right there.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean my flop call. Preflop is standard.

What do I need to call here? My K's and J's are good at least 50% of the time against the bettor.

Rob