Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2002, 05:29 PM

Default Re: The Mandalay Bay 10-20 game

"How can moving from a game that's raked at $4 max to one that's raked at $3 max be considered moving to a game that's more expensive? That statement seems to defy logic."

Let's look at as dollars/hour that leaves the table, where dollars = rake+tips. I'm guessing that a $3 max rake game with no chopping would have a higher dollar/hour -- be more expensive -- than a $4 max rake game with chopping. I'm making two assumptions that would blow this conjecture if wrong. One is that they still chop a lot of pots in $10-20 games in Vegas (when allowed), and two is that the players don't habitually stiff the dealers on pots that have a flop and only one or two called bets after the flop.

Tommy
Old 09-06-2002, 07:55 PM

Does Mandalay Bay extend their high-hand bonus program to this new 10-20 game?
Old 09-07-2002, 12:09 AM

Poppycock and bupkus!!!!!!

it's more like $2500.00 a year to a regular player that plays 40 hrs per week.
Old 09-07-2002, 12:23 AM

Bluesman, Nope - the "bonus" was not part of the "deal". Babe
Old 09-07-2002, 04:58 PM

Location: Generally found in the southern California or Vegas areas

I think your description of the movement of the 10-20 game from mirage to mandalay bay says it all. I agree with those who moved their game to the place with the lower rake and better comps. I say this even though I really like the mirage and think Donna Harris, the manager there, is a top-notch lady and very good manager. I would like to think upper management forced Donna to make this change against her will, but I don't actually know what factors led to the decision to raise the rake at the mirage. Perhaps I'll email her and find out. At any rate, the bottom line is that I'd rather play at mandalay bay than mirage, given the rake is less, the comps are better, and the game is more likely to actually get going. Too bad for the mirage, I like playing there, and it seems this decision will inevitably result in my playing there less often.

Dave in Cali
Old 09-10-2002, 04:08 PM

Default you all don\'t know how good you have it.

the rake here is $5. still beatable. but worse than you vegas humps have it. adjust your strategy, or play wherever you want. my guess is that with all the regulars who know a thing or two about the game gone, the $4rake is nothing compared to the live ones you will have all to yourself. find some live ones to start up games with at the Mirage.
Old 09-15-2003, 01:57 PM

This game died within two weeks (I know I posted that somewhere when it happened but it's not in this therad).

However, it's interesting that EVERYBODY who I talk to in Vegas about the quality of the games agrees that the Mirage 10-20 is incredibly good right now and has been for quite a while. A year ago, the game was considered the ultimate rock garden game and was something I almost always avoided. Now, I often choose to play 10-20 over 20-40 because I think both are worth about $30 per hour.