Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 05:11 PM

Default Raymer almost robbed at the Bellagio

Greg Raymer, the 2004 WSOP Champion, nearly lost more than his bracelet last week at the Bellagio. Two armed men tried to kidnap and rob the portly man last week at the Bellagio.
Raymer, who was in town for the Bellagio's Five Diamond Classic, was returning to his room after playing a cash game in the resort's poker room when two armed men approached him. The men, one of whom was identified as Deen Cassin of Las Vegas, attempted to abduct Raymer and rob him. Bellagio security reportedly stated that Raymer had a large sum of cash on him.
Cassin, described as a "wannabe" high stakes poker player, is wanted by Las Vegas Metro Police. The other assailant was not identified. Raymer reportedly successful fought off the 5'8, 160 pound Cassin before the suspects fled the scene.

Anyone else heard this? This was posted at the Prescription.
Old 12-22-2004, 05:58 PM

Default Re: Raymer almost robbed at the Bellagio

Story reeks of BS to me. If it happened anywhere but inside the Bellagio it might be believable. The security is rather tight and I just don't see Raymer traveling around without some sort of entourage.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:01 PM

The reason I believe it is because one of the most well respected posters at the Rx, who lives in LV also, is the one who posted it. but who knows.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but who knows.

[/ QUOTE ]

No doubt Fossilman will let us know if the story is false.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:39 PM

I did a search at lvrj.com and came up with nothing. This doesn't sound like a true event, but if it is, it hasn't been published in a newspaper.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:16 PM

If it is true those two nimrods should be euthanized for stupidity. Bellagio is probably the one place on earth where an assailant has almost a 0% chance of getting away without being apprehended or at the very least having his image captured.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If it is true those two nimrods should be euthanized for stupidity. Bellagio is probably the one place on earth where an assailant has almost a 0% chance of getting away without being apprehended or at the very least having his image captured.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did they ever catch the guy who snatched $1 million in jewelery from the Fred Leighton in via Bellagio? That right there is some +EV thinking.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bellagio is probably the one place on earth where an assailant has almost a 0% chance of getting away without being apprehended

[/ QUOTE ]

There was a documentary about a a sucessful heist at the Bellagio called Ocean's 11. It's out on video.

The story sounds like BS to me too, if for no other reason than the inclusion of "portly man" in the first paragraph. Someone is probably taking a cheap shot at Greg, my read.

BTW, what is The Prescription?

Shane
Old 12-22-2004, 10:32 PM

thats a funny story (if only for the thought of "a portly man" fighting off would be robbers so close to christmas), but highly unlikly that it would not have made major news networks or publications as Greg Raymor's name is essentially a household name in most cities. (more so on the eastcoast even??) I mean the guy was on the cover of cigar afficiando, among others so I would assume that the story would be out there.

If it is true however, good for raymor for not giving in to those scumbags; if they catch 'em cut their noots off
Old 12-23-2004, 12:36 AM

The story is mostly true. Two men, at least one of them carrying a gun, tried to rob me as I went into my room at the Bellagio. Despite being alone at the time the attempt started, and one of them having a gun, I still beat them both off and made them run away. If it weren't for the gun, I would've chased them down the hallway, and smashed their faces in as they waited for the elevator.

The story is wrong in two particulars. I don't carry large sums of cash, unless you consider five hundred to a thousand a large sum, and I'm not portly. I'm muscular and fat. These guys were 5'9" and 6'3", and combined outweighed me by a lot (the tall guy was a lot bigger than me). Yet I still beat them off, and came out of this with no injuries other than a slight abrasion on one shoulder.

I don't write this to brag, I just want any robbery-minded people out there who hear about this to know that I'm a tough mark, and they won't get that much off me even if they succeed. And if they do succeed, they'll either go to jail, or I'll find them myself and make them wish they'd gone to jail. I'm a very nice guy, super-easygoing, and am friends with pretty much everybody I meet, but if you f*ck with my life or my family, I'm going to f*ck you back and then some.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Closed Thread