Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2004, 12:21 PM

Default Suited 4-2 free play

Party 6-max 5/10
Table is full and 6-handed

Hero post a BIG BLIND and is dealt 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

VERY loose UTG limps, folded to quite loose SB who completes, I check.

Flop:
A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB bets, Hero calls, UTG raises, all call

Turn A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (pot is 4.5 BB)

SB bets, Hero calls (??) <font color="blue">Raise here instead? </font>, UTG RAISES, All call <font color="blue"> (3-bet here?)
</font>
River 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (pot is 10.5 BB)

SB checks, Hero Bets, UTG RAISES, SB call 2 cold, Hero (??)

How do you play this?
Old 12-22-2004, 12:36 PM

Default Re: Suited 4-2 free play

On the turn you definitely want to put some action in. Your baby flush is very vulnerable to another club coming, and at the same time you can punish anyone drawing to a high club, as well as anyone with trips or two pair drawing to the boat. I would be concerned that with the SB betting out on the second ace UTG may go passive or fold, so I'd go ahead and raise at the first opportunity. Do I cap a 3-bet? I don't know. You're so far from the nuts that I think 3 may be ok, but I wouldn't fault anyone for capping.

Definitely call the river raise it could easily be trip aces.

B.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Suited 4-2 free play

With 15 BB in the pot and two aces on the board, a call is automatic. The rest of the hand is difficult, though.

The "VERY loose" UTG would presumably play almost any two suited, which is a worry, but is equally likely to play any ace.

Ideally you'd have folded on the flop - I often think tiny flushes are more trouble then they're worth. There's nothing worse than making it on the turn and having to throw it away to a redraw on the river. And naturally they're murder if there's a higher flush or a full out there. But anyway the flop call is not ideal given the way things worked out but perfectly defensible.

I think you absolutely have to raise the turn to protect as anyone with a club could overtake you on the river. You'd then be able to fold if it came back capped to you, and possibly even if it were just 3-bet behind and then you check-call the river.

Until the cold-call on the river, SB might play several T9-TK type hands like this, particularly if in possession of a club, which is another reason to get raising.

I'm not sure if I'd risk betting the river given UTG's history of raising, and I'd certainly be pretty disappointed when he did it again.

SB now looks like he has an ace for certain, which makes the flush more likely for UTG. You're getting 15/1 on the call but surely your odds of taking the pot aren't a lot better than that. Crucial questions would be whether UTG is insane/tricky enough to bluff his way through the whole hand, and whether he'd be prepared to raise a baby ace to induce a fold from SB's bigger one, despite looking beaten.