Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2004, 11:13 PM

Default How NOT to Play Flopped Quads

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. MP3 posts a blind of $0.5.
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, MP3 (poster) folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, UTG calls.

-easy cap with KK-

Flop: (22.50 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

-there are two hearts here, but otherwise people will be scared of this flop. People often put a PF raiser on AK. I have quads! It would be awesome if someone made a flush against this. In fact, someone with a flush draw might bet this. What was MP2 raising with? CHECK. Ah man.. that bet was late. Now I gotta go for overcalls here. CALL. MP2 still might raise... ah well. Next time.-

Turn: (13.75 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO calls.

-I'm so excited about my quads... boy o boy. I think, "People still got crap here. I need to check and hope someone hit something or gets brave with that flush draw. Good idea!" CHECK. check, check, CO bets again, fold. Damn. Well I didn't think MP1 or MP2 had anything to begin with. They're going to fold anyway or call with a flush draw. RAISE. fold, fold, call. I hope this guy hits his flush.-

River: (17.75 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

Yes. This guys had to be on a fluhs. BET. No raise? Ah well. Don't be greedy.

Final Pot: 19.75 BB

I think the correct play on the turn would have been to bet out, hoping that the flop better would raise the field. Or he might just call, but hopefully MP1 and MP2 would have called too, and I wouldn't have to face the situation I really got myself into where I have to go for some weak overcalls or push some stragglers out with a raise.

Sometimes I don't spend enough time thinking about my options before I act on them. Sometimes I *gasp* do the first thing that pops into my head.

This may be second nature to most of you by now, but I need to start thinking about my options... especially on the turn. A lot of times I think through my plan on the flop, and when I get to the turn, I don't stop to reconsider...

Thanks for comments.

- Jason
Old 12-21-2004, 11:15 PM

Default Re: How NOT to Play Flopped Quads

p.s. I know it's not so useful to work on the "how to play quads" part of your game, but thought this situation might be more commonly found as "how NOT to play a flopped full house" or some such.

Peace,

Jason
Old 12-21-2004, 11:17 PM

This would be a much cooler post if he turned over TQh [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-21-2004, 11:18 PM

you can't expect to get more bets than that with a crippled deck. i don't see the problem.

edit: yeah, bet flop.. but results-wise there is nothing to complain about.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:21 PM

There are very few people that would put anyone on flopped quads. Those that exist probably don't bother playing at these levels.

By putting on the brakes as quickly as you did, you only draw suspicion. Bet the flop and see what you get. There are all sorts of gutshot and flush draws out there that people will play. Even anyone holding a singleton A will probably call a bet here. If the action gets crazy, you can C/R the turn.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:12 AM

Just an FYI.

At .5/1

A check raise on turn with a flopped pair on the board typically means raiser has slowplayed trips.

Not always, but almost always with Party micro players.

With that in mind, I lead out the flop. Lead out the turn. Lead out the river.

However how you played it, I would call the turn, hoping for the overcalls and lead out the river, hoping for a chance to raise.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:42 AM

Good point about the check raise turn. I like leading out here too, but I guess I had just taken down too many hands on the flop with big hands during that session. In this case though, there are enough people in the hand to expect to get a few callers or people putting me on a big ace or something.

Leading out on the flop and the turn does solve my dilema here. Still, expecting MP1 to bet at this since he was raising preflop, a check raise here is a good option on the flop too.

- Jason