Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2004, 02:27 AM

Default AKo hand, scary board at river

This is the 2nd time that this has hapened to me tonight where I've had 2 pair on a pretty scary board. No real reads, typical LP table. Is this a standard call in a pot this big?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (11.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (10.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP3 folds, Hero calls, Button calls.

River: (18.75 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, Hero folds, Button calls, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 24.75 BB
Old 12-21-2004, 02:32 AM

Default Re: AKo hand, scary board at river

hmm... utg check/raises the turn - i'd probably 3-bet him anyway. most likely he's getting cute with 2 pair and not the straight. if he caps it, you'll have a better idea where you stand. i dont get why the 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] is such a scary river card, looks like a blank to me as far as the hand goes.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:37 AM

It is a complete blank. It completes a 10J straight, but anyone with 10J already had the flopped OESD. The turn completes the only possible straight, and the river does nothing in that regard.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:44 AM

As scary as the board is, I think I would have 3-bet the turn myself. But I have this aggression fetish. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Maybe it would have gotten UTG+1 to fold at that point?

Don't know, kind of odd he came alive at the river like that. Nah, probably had A8 now that I think about it.

I'm thinking UTG had KQ since he just called the raise on the river.

I think I would have called the 2 bets to me on the river in this situation. Of course that may be a leak in my game, but I don't think I could let go of this hand after how it was played in front of me. Especially with the size of the pot at that point.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:47 AM

You can't fold this getting 11:1 unless you're sure you're up against a str8.
Old 12-21-2004, 03:00 AM

which is why i think hero should have 3-bet the turn. if it gets capped, he can call b/c hes drawing to a boat. i'd feel a lot better about folding on the river after he caps the turn.
Old 12-21-2004, 03:03 AM

I think your logic is good.
Old 12-21-2004, 03:33 AM

given the rest of the action, i think hero folded the best hand here.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
given the rest of the action, i think hero folded the best hand here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero did fold the best hand here.

UTG flipped over Q8, UTG+1 flipped over A9 and took down the pot. I'm not sure why I didn't think I had the best hand here, huge mistake. Let this be a lesson to all of you to not fold top 2 in a ginormous pot.