Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2004, 06:53 PM

Default Re: Short stacked with AA

In maddo's original situation, I push every time. In adanthar's situation (760 chips, blinds 50/100, 1 limper to me), I push even more often.

But not considering the other options (limp/minraise/standard raise) is related to one of my leaks, perhaps - I'm pretty risk-averse to playing my big hands too slow, so I reduce the chance that I get my chips in while behind, but at the expense of not extracting maximum value.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:16 PM

Default Re: Short stacked with AA

Yikes! Maybe I didn't explain my flop play correctly. I am not waiting until the turn to make my move, I am check-raising the flop only. I am looking for someone with top pair behind me or someone looking to steal. I use this tactic all the time when I am short stacked w/ AA and I am very happy with the results. I want to better than double-up in this spot. I am hoping to draw people in with speculative hands, that's why the limp. I am going to check the flop hoping to get some action behind me, and when I do, I will come over the top either taking the pot right there or getting someone to call me. There is nothing worse as the short-stack than to make a 3XBB raise with the best hand you're going to see the rest of the tournament and just pick up the blinds (other than having AA in the BB and everyone folding to you).

My advice would be different if there was someone at the table (big stack) playing sherriff. But even then, I'm going to double-up with the blinds, I'd like to do better with AA.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:00 PM

Default Results

I actually took what is probably the worst option. I raised to 300, which was 1/3 of my stack, so I might as well just typed in the chat that I wanted action ;-) Everyone folded.