Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2004, 05:20 PM

Default Re: AK, flop TPTK

I prefer a pot sized bet when I hit my top pair, particularly if I have top kicker, and particularly if I raised. There's a good chance that he would have called anyway, even if he didn't have a made hand like trips already.

I would think at these blinds, had you gone all in after the flop (given that you just had a little more than the pot in your stack), and gotten called, you would have still had a very good chance to be in the lead, and if you didn't get called, you won a decent pot and prevented a suck out.

However, sometimes you hit your hand, and someone gets a set. Those times you lose money. Sometimes you lose alot of money. That's just the way it goes.

I would say you played the hand fine, but as I said, my preference would have been for a bigger bet on the flop. I suppose I would also recommend having more chips in your stack, so that you are able to make a bet big enough to scare out drawers on later rounds.
Old 12-21-2004, 06:03 PM

This thread is so funny, given the other thread (which I know most people in this thread probably haven't read). In that thread he was given the advice to move up from .01/.02 (which he did) and also to buy-in short to conserve his bankroll (which he did). Now he is being told to move up from .05/.10 and not to buy-in short. Anyways, David, I think you played this fine considering the short buy-in. Sometimes you will get sucked out on because you have a short stack, but more often than not I think that people will call you with very marginal hands because of the short stack. Sorry if it didn't work out for you this time, but I think you were fine to bet less than the pot on the flop since there were no draws so most likely he had a weaker ace and was drawing to three outs. Maybe a bit more than a buck, but even a buck is not terrible and I would definitely try to get all-in at this limit with that stack. People will certainly call you down with much worse hands.
Old 12-21-2004, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This thread is so funny, given the other thread (which I know most people in this thread probably haven't read). In that thread he was given the advice to move up from .01/.02 (which he did) and also to buy-in short to conserve his bankroll (which he did). Now he is being told to move up from .05/.10 and not to buy-in short. Anyways, David, I think you played this fine considering the short buy-in. Sometimes you will get sucked out on because you have a short stack, but more often than not I think that people will call you with very marginal hands because of the short stack. Sorry if it didn't work out for you this time, but I think you were fine to bet less than the pot on the flop since there were no draws so most likely he had a weaker ace and was drawing to three outs. Maybe a bit more than a buck, but even a buck is not terrible and I would definitely try to get all-in at this limit with that stack. People will certainly call you down with much worse hands.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks. My jump to .05/.10 was brutal. UTG+2 shows K8, and MHING. A while before this I picked up AA and made a nice raise, about 5xBB. I look safe on the flop, and I push. Villain catches runner-runner for a straight. He called PF with K9 suited. Oh well.

And then, about 10 minutes after this hand I pick up JKs. I make a raise(about 3xBB) I flop top 2 pair, make a bet, get raised so I push it all in. He catches running 7's for trip 7's. No big deal, I'll win it back in the long run.

So now I'm down to about $12, which is okay. I'm playing .01/.02 Limit and some Omaha(.01/.02) I've made 2 FH in about 5 hands in Omaha, and the nut flush to drag a a huge pot in Hold 'Em. I just need to win a bit more to be ready for some more NL.....maybe.
Old 12-21-2004, 06:29 PM

As you will see mentioned NUMEROUS times on here, the swings can be brutal (especially when you move up and hit a rough patch). The important thing is that you are getting the money in when you are ahead which it sounds like you are doing. So definitely stick with it. You WILL make it back in the long run. Also, don't raise KJs. Unless you hit two pair, you are toast.
Old 12-21-2004, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As you will see mentioned NUMEROUS times on here, the swings can be brutal (especially when you move up and hit a rough patch). The important thing is that you are getting the money in when you are ahead which it sounds like you are doing. So definitely stick with it. You WILL make it back in the long run. Also, don't raise KJs. Unless you hit two pair, you are toast.

[/ QUOTE ]
And as I was typing this I flopped aces full(Omaha) only to have the third 5 fall on the river. 4 of a kind beats a full house, right? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Glad it was Limit.
Old 12-21-2004, 06:54 PM

Sounds like you have been getting some bad beats lately. Just remember to objectively analyse your play. Is the money going in when you are ahead? If it is, then you are doing fine even if you are losing. If it isn't, then you are not doing fine even if you are winning. Luck doesn't last. Also, if you haven't before, you might want to check out twodimes.net/poker to see if you are REALLY ahead (including draws), not just if you have the best hand at the time of the bet. Draws can be huge, especially in Omaha, and hard to figure the odds so definitely use the tools that are available.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like you have been getting some bad beats lately. Just remember to objectively analyse your play. Is the money going in when you are ahead? If it is, then you are doing fine even if you are losing. If it isn't, then you are not doing fine even if you are winning. Luck doesn't last. Also, if you haven't before, you might want to check out twodimes.net/poker to see if you are REALLY ahead (including draws), not just if you have the best hand at the time of the bet. Draws can be huge, especially in Omaha, and hard to figure the odds so definitely use the tools that are available.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well I am using PT, is it the same thing if I playback the hand and if I am ahead with win % then I am ahead, even with draws? Because I am looking at the hands I lost big in, and every hand I was a favorite. Does this mean I was ahead, even counting my opponent's draws? I will check out twodimes though, thanks. You've been a big help, both with my play and keeping possible tilt away. It's always nice to have someone tell you that you don't just suck, you got outdrawn(I might suck anyways though [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img])