Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2004, 06:37 PM

Default Top Pair Top Kicker

I really don't like how this hand played out. Any help appreciated!

My opponent seemed fairly solid for the 0.5/1 lvl

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed) converter

UTG+1 ($24)
MP1 ($23.25)
MP2 ($52.15)
MP3 ($4)
CO ($27.7)
Button ($18)
Hero ($62.15)
BB ($24)
UTG ($33.7)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.25.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0.50, MP3 folds, CO calls $0.50, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) raises to $2.25</font>, BB folds, MP2 calls $2, CO folds.

Flop: ($6) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, MP2 calls $2.

Turn: ($10) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $6</font>, MP2 calls $6.

River: ($22) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets $20</font>, Hero calls $20.

Final Pot: $62
Old 12-20-2004, 07:47 PM

Default Re: Top Pair Top Kicker

I'm throwing out a $10 bet on that river to decrease the chance of you being bluffed off the pot, if you he raises you big, muck it. The call or fold when you checked the river is really hard. You have to go on read, would he make this move with a weaker ace or with nothing? You have to win 1/3 of the time to make the call worth while.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:54 PM

Why did you check the river? Did you think you were behind or were you trying to induce a bluff? He certainly may have had a weaker ace. I would have value bet the river, which would also act as a blocking bet to reduce the chance of being bluffed off the pot. If he raises, you can muck it for cheaper than this $20 call anyways.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:54 PM

What about the river blank caused you to fear your hand being beat? Why did you stop betting there? Give a little of your thoughts on your action to help me (&amp; others) try to understand better. As for my play, I make another bet of about 1/2-2/3 pot on the river. If my hand was good on the flop and turn, it should be now. Granted, his large bet on the river is intimidating, but he might think you missed your flush draw and are sitting there dead. Little does he know...
Old 12-20-2004, 08:22 PM

Well, I checked the river because I didn't like his two smooth calls at all. He either had a monster or a lower ace. I was hoping that he would make a small bet in both cases and I could get a cheap showdown. But as it turned out he really put pressure on me and I thought long before I called.

What hands could he be playing like this?
AJ-AK
AA-99
QJs

I think one mistake was the small flop bet, it should have been at least 4. Then if he called I could have narrowed his possible hands.

I really like the idea of a blocking bet here to reduce the chance of being bluffed, but only against some opponents (like this guy). Most opponents would not bet this large.