Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2004, 03:41 PM

Default Reverse Tilt?

I feel as though lately I have been a victim of something I will call "reverse tilt". Essentially, twice in the last 2 days I played these two different runs:
All at 1/2 NL Online

1: worked up from $100 to about 250, some steals some good cards ect, but generally just playing tight aggressive and in my opinion the best I have been playing since I started about 1.5 years ago. 1st significant hand: I call a small raise, with a wired pair, and I flop a set. There is a flush draw, check comes and I bet guy on flush draw calls (he was raiser); turn is a blank for flush but pairs board for my boat; I check, so does he, river gives him his flush (yeah) I check, he pushes and I take like $150 from him. 2nd hand this is literally two hands later: I get wired kings, I raise, guy behind me pushes about $175 I call and he turns over queens, my kings hold up and I'm up over $600. I then proceed to play stupid hands bakc to back and chop myself doen to $400

Something similar happened a day later, I was up like 2.5x the buy in at the table after 1 hand, then I gave it away on another hand.

So my Question is: ANyone have any ways that they calm down after a big win/ being up fairly big for their time playing? How do you remember to keep playing your game, when making a call seems like a cheap thing compared to your stake size (I know this is not the way to think when calling so maybe some advice on how to aviod that thought process when you are up would be appreciated as well)
Old 12-15-2004, 05:47 PM

Default Re: Reverse Tilt?

Take a break. The juiciest table in the world is still -EV if you become the biggest fish at it when you win a couple big pots.

Maybe even switch tables, especially if you play better when you're not on a big stack.

-X
Old 12-19-2004, 08:20 AM

coincidentally, when i take a downswing during a session, it is almost always during an upswing. ive only been playing poker on a serious level for 6 months, however. the other night i took a terrible swing at 10/20, losing 50bbs, but this was only after i was up 35bbs. ive thought long and hard about this to see if maybe i was having "reverse tilt", and while its true that i may loosen up after i have a fantastic image, i dont believe i play poorly when im winning. if anything, i play better. im pretty certain its just coincidence.

hope my post was of some help.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:56 AM

That's not "reverse tilt." It's just plain old tilt.

I would suspect it is just as common for people to tilt when they win a few big pots as when the lose a few big ones.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:37 PM

It seems to me "reverse tilt" would be something like really tightening up...afraid to lose chips and missing out on opportunities.

That said it is easy to loosen up after winning. It is not the result(chip stack) much of your brain is after. It is the rush of winning a pot. You must chill. Try thinking about how everyone else at the table is looking at your chip stack and salivating with envy. This helps me. If not, walk away and join another table. Especially easy to do online.