Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: ?
Whats this doing in a poker fourm 25 49.02%
Keep up the g00t work 26 50.98%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-19-2004, 11:10 AM

Default How do you deal with Mr. All-In?

I get this a lot--and am unsure how to handle it, so would appreciate your input!
It's very late/mid tourney, and you have about 20+BB. Final table is 2 tables away. Your table is getting very tight, as people are smelling $.
One guy at the table decides to go all-in every hand, or every other. The table keeps folding, so he's doing great, and on his way to being top stack. He started off small..
You're getting total crap every hand and gritting your teeth.
How do you handle this? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 12-19-2004, 11:20 AM

Default Re: How do you deal with Mr. All-In?

This sounds similar in some ways to my LAG question. I've never been fond of calling someone else's all-in with marginal holdings. (I have a knack for choosing the time when he is holding AA.) I think in this case, when the table is pretty tight, the best defense is a good offense. When you have a good (though not stellar) hand, YOU do the raising.

But I could be wrong.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:22 AM

I believe this is pretty standard.

1) You don't have to be the sheriff. Someone else usually will, and eventually they'll get lucky - or not. If they don't the situation changes - most "all-in on every hand" bullies change strategy when they're suddenly the big stack.

2) Be very careful about becoming involved with the all-in player. Even though you most likely are way ahead against this player with any decent hand, you might run into other players with real hands. Your position relative to the bully is crucial here.

3) With 20+ BB there's no urgent pressure ... hopefully you'll be able to steal from the tight players in those few hands where the bully folds before the action makes it to you.

4) If you pick up an absolutely prime hand and the all-in bully is to act after you this might be one of the very rare occasions where it's +EV to limp preflop. Of course, if the bully does not raise you it's important to procede with the uttermost caution after the flop.

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)
Old 12-19-2004, 11:48 AM

thanks! I feel better now [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
BTW--what would you do if short-stacked and desperate?
Old 12-19-2004, 02:55 PM

I'll do battle with Mr. All-in but the situation has to be correct. Position is very importqant. If you try to do battle with him and there are still a number of players to act you run the risk of one of them picking up a hand.

But if I'm in the SB or BB I'll play with him with hands like A9 and higher, any pair, KQ, KJ and possibly even QJ.
Old 12-20-2004, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll do battle with Mr. All-in but the situation has to be correct. Position is very importqant. If you try to do battle with him and there are still a number of players to act you run the risk of one of them picking up a hand.

But if I'm in the SB or BB I'll play with him with hands like A9 and higher, any pair, KQ, KJ and possibly even QJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

[nitpick] there's no reason to call with 22 unless the blinds/antes are very big relative to your stack. [/nitpick]
Old 12-20-2004, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[nitpick] there's no reason to call with 22 unless the blinds/antes are very big relative to your stack. [/nitpick]

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you have against deuces? What did they ever do to you? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-20-2004, 05:16 PM

well, i'll tell you what they haven't done - be a big favorite.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:30 PM

If you are a good player, chances are he will bow out before you.

1. Bust him with a big hand.

2. Watch someone else bust him with a big hand.