Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2004, 04:59 PM

Default A few questions about multitabling...

1. Is it likely to adversely affect your winrate?

2. Do you play even more tightly preflop as result of seeing more hands?

3. I've found it prohibitively difficult to keep track of anyone's betting playing even three tables. I can't get any reads during hands a result and end up chasing only to find after the fact that I should've folded 100 years ago. Common problem?

4. Does anyone refuse to get themselves in more than one hand at a time? As in, folding hands you would otherwise play so as not to be at the expense of your current hand?

5. Am I just an uncoordinated louse who likely types with one finger?

I'm sure this has been discussed 437289 times. Any pertinent information/link is appreciated...
Old 12-17-2004, 05:20 PM

Default Re: A few questions about multitabling...

1. Yes, but slightly enough that if you're able to stay focused it's profitable - to a point. Obviously not everyone can 8-table. There's a point of diminishing returns for every player. For most it's probably around 4-6 tables.

2. I don't know, I always multitable!

3. Pokertracker helps, but yes this is a common problem.

4. Helllllll no.

5. This is quite possibly true.
Old 12-17-2004, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

3. I've found it prohibitively difficult to keep track of anyone's betting playing even three tables. I can't get any reads during hands a result and end up chasing only to find after the fact that I should've folded 100 years ago. Common problem?

4. Does anyone refuse to get themselves in more than one hand at a time? As in, folding hands you would otherwise play so as not to be at the expense of your current hand?

I'm sure this has been discussed 437289 times. Any pertinent information/link is appreciated...

[/ QUOTE ]

Questions 2-5 tell me you need to adjust your thinking on multitabling. You have to try to play the same game you would play at 1 table. Your BB/100 will go down slightly due to lack of attention (missing the fact that a flush card hit the river, grr)/ click mistakes not because you play different hands or folding profitable hands when currently playing another. If you are doing this you're probably having to think too long to make a decision. If you play enough poker most of your decisions will be made instantly. If you're agonizing over decisions play just one table until you're more comfortable.

To help with reads poker tracker in combination with player view or gametime is invaluable. An absolute must have for anybody multitabling 3+ tables.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The more tables you play, the less attention you have for reads and such... so yes... you're unlikely to be able to play 4 tables and achieve the same winrate you would at 1. For some people, the impact is minimal. Others don't like playing more that 2 tables so they don't have to dilute their ability to play a nuanced game. For most multi-tablers, the increased hourly rate compensates for failing to do as well as you would if you were playing fewer tables.

That said, multi-tabling is a skill that needs to be learned. Preferably after you're familiar with some of the basics. If you have to agonize over every decision you won't be able to keep up with the button clicks, let alone keep track of the action. Take it slow and give it time.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people find in easier to play appropriately tightly for this reason. However, I've never been convinced by this argument. If you don't have the discipline to play properly at 1 table, it's hard to see how adding more is going to solve the underlying problem. I don't think this is what you were getting at, but it's an important point.

There are situations where it might make sense to dump a marginal hand (while you're adjusting) if you're involved in a more profitable one on another table that requires your attention. This becomes less of an issue over time... though playing 4+ hands at the same time is always going to be hectic. Illuminous has had a lot of success playing 10 tables and talked about dumping some marginally profitable situations to keep the button clicks to a minimum. However, that's a case where physical constraints come into the picture. You should plan to play your usual game, and any exceptions should be just that... exceptions.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This improves over time. Auto-rating (via Pokertracker) and a stats overlay program (Gametime+ or Playerview) help with the basics. It's not too bad when you've played a few hands on a particular table, but if you've been auto-folding for several orbits it can even be tough to keep track of player movement sometimes. The good news is that you're likely to be playing hands against the same players, as the loosies are the ones most likely to be in each hand.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't like to keep people waiting, but if it comes down to it you have quite a bit of time to make a decision. Don't freak out if you're being counted out and are in the process of playing a few difficult hands. Don't do it all the time, but you have every right to take as much time as they allow. You shouldn't have to fold clearly profitable hands, though marginal hands that take a lot of finesse can be done away with if you're having a tough time keeping up.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Give it time. Try to keep things within your comfort zone. If you find you can't keep up, stick to 1 or 2 tables for a while. It's not a race, and no one said you have to play 4+ tables anyway. If your focus is on moving up, you might prefer to leave multi-tabling alone for a while... though it's probably a good skill to learn sooner rather than later, even if you don't plan to use it. Just do it at your own pace and recognize that it's not something you'll be instantly proficient at. Adding a table takes some getting used to. Expect to be a bit uncomfortable for a while.

Here's a link you might find interesting. As you said, there's a lot of info out there if you want to explore things further.

Best of luck.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:27 PM

I have poker tracker and have noticed the player view feature. Does this work with prima sites or are there any auto rate/stat programs that will work on prima sites?

Can see how these stats can help you get a read on people without focusing on every hand which isnt possibly multitabling.

My only advice is to slowly build up. 2 tables isnt bad as they dont usually run in sync and you have lots of time for each hand [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] My first attempt at 3 today got a bit hectic but came out ahead after 1 hour! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-17-2004, 09:15 PM

Dumb related question I've been wanting to ask - maybe I can tack it on here and get my answer without calling too much attention to myself, LOL. How do you get multi-windows side by side, or even partially overlapping? The sizing icon is dimmed out on my computer when I'm on a table, and I don't get handles when I hover on the borders.
Old 12-18-2004, 03:20 AM

I've started to 'practice' multi-tabling.

I have my Real Money Pacific account playing in one window, and I log in to a couple fake money tables on Paradise. If I have to neglect one I neglected the fake money, of course.

I've only done it a couple times, and I still agonize over some of my decisions too much to do it very well, but you have to start somewhere.

KO
Old 12-18-2004, 06:27 AM

You need to change your screen resolution. Right click on your desktop and select properties-->settings. Not all monitors/video cards support resolutions high enough to completly avoid overlap, but most people can at least improve the situation by bumping things up a tick or two.