Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2004, 05:38 AM

Default Re: Hellmuth Erupts (WPT Coverage)

[ QUOTE ]
The second worst ones are when you flop a set and move in killing pot odds for a flush only to be called anyway and sucked out on. Thats just IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]
most of those don't even know what pot odds are.
Old 12-17-2004, 05:41 AM

The fact that the re-raise is so big is what makes the hand all the more baffling. People just seem to gun for Phil because of his attitude and it clearly works to his advantage(albeit not in this case). I mean there's no way Phil should be getting action by AJ when he comes in for 80k. Just pathetic.
-Andy
Old 12-17-2004, 05:46 AM

Yes, that hiatt guy played badly. But, hellmuth wanted a call by a worse hand so what the fuc k is he complaining about?
Old 12-17-2004, 05:51 AM

Yeah, he got the call he wanted. And he got sucked out with a 70-30 advantage pre-flop, and about a 90-10 advantage after the flop. I'd say it's reason to complain.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, he got the call he wanted. And he got sucked out with a 70-30 advantage pre-flop, and about a 90-10 advantage after the flop. I'd say it's reason to complain.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it's not. he should be happy he got called with a worse hand. if he would've won he wouldn't have complained.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:11 AM

From an intellectual viewpoint, I think most agree that he shouldn't whine about bad beats. He's at least a semi-professional poker player, and should act as one. I think many of us here wouldn't act much better though. I am very proud of the way I acted when my JJ got sucked out on by a5os a while ago. That was a $3 buyin home game though.

Bottom line is, you can't really fault the typical person for getting upset there, and I think we all know that Hellmuth is way worse than the typical person at handling beats. Compared to his track record, he is quite on par.
Old 12-17-2004, 08:45 AM

I'm not saying that Hellmuth's constant blow ups over his bad beats aren't awful, the only point to my post was that if you took that kind of a hit in big tourney with KK vs. AJ, you'd be pissed too. I'm not gonna sit here and say that I would've handled it better when a) I wasn't in his position and b) I can't honestly say that I would.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:36 AM

41st paid 21,700. And looking at a later post, it reads: "When Hellmuth busted out later in 41st place, he reinforced his sore loser image by dropping over 2 dozen "F-bombs" as he left the table."

If that happened to me in a tournament, I'd probably drop a few of those myself, at my computer monitor.

Kevin...
Old 12-17-2004, 09:40 AM

Default Maybe The Play wasn\'t all THAT BAD?

Not being there (As none of us are) I am going to take a different view, and defend the play.

Hiatt opens for a raise of 2.5x BB. This is an EP raise, but it could have also been a semi-steal raise. We don't know how often that raise was taking down the pot.

Know Phill Re-raises from the cutoff. Could he be doing this with KK? Sure - could he also be doing this with rags? Maybe - We don't know his chip stack at the time. So maybe he figures to put in a big raise, and steal the pot himself.

Know if Hiatt knows Phill might do this, he might see that he has a chance to play back and steal a bunch of chips to really increase his stack.

Yes a call of the all in is 3-1, but Phill is the type that would lay down a hand he would raise with, like TT or 99 or AJ to a big re-raise like this.

So it's quite possible that Hiatt just picked a bad time to try and make a move and pick off some chips.

A lot of people have said they would never call here with the AJ. Let's remember, that Hiatt pushed the AJ, he just happened to run into KK. Then he sucked out.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:37 AM

Default Re: Maybe The Play wasn\'t all THAT BAD?

quick, there's still time to delete this post before everyone realizes what you're saying!

hahahaha.. hellmuth makes this ridiculous raise and the guy moves in with AJ. it just simply cannot be correct. look at the stack sizes. plus the guy evidently busted hellmuth out, so he had him covered. there's virtually no way phil folds any hand, and if you have AJ, what do you hope to see?