Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2004, 03:12 AM

Default AJo blind no chop scenario 80-160

i have AJo in the sb and the bb doesnt chop. 80-160. gabe is sweating me so i wanted to play it good. did i?

bb is an overaggro angry asian broad who oftentimes plays higher. ive played with her a bit and even though ive been on my best behavior she tends to give me no respect.

i raise preflop, she calls. the flop is T63 rainbow. i bet, she raises. turn is a K. i check and call. river is a 7. i check with the intention of calling if she bets.

comments?
Old 12-17-2004, 03:16 AM

Default Re: AJo blind no chop scenario 80-160

Good hand.

Gabe could get away with checkraising the turn here, but I don't know if you could. It's probably worth a shot though, as you commit the same 2 bets as checking and calling and get some small chance of folding a better hand or folding a hand that had outs.
Old 12-17-2004, 03:23 AM

"get some small chance of folding a better hand or folding a hand that had outs."

knowing this player i just cant see her folding any pair here that she's willing to bet the turn with. that doesnt mean she has to have a pair to bet the turn, but it does mean that her folding a better hand seems out of the question. i could be wrong though. maybe she would fold 44 or something. she would 3 bet that preflop though.
Old 12-17-2004, 03:23 AM

Hey guys,

Considering I'm not a mid-high player, I like the way this went down, but I'm wondering something: how often do these hands end up just being a calldown fest? I'm curious as to which boards are safe for you to call the flop checkraise (which, I know, is often just a move) and call down after that.

If you checkraise the turn, you muck to a 3-bet, right?

Rob
Old 12-17-2004, 03:54 AM

she had position on me so there was no checkraise on the flop. i bet and she raised. board seemed harmless enough and had some straight draw potential, plus i held overcards if she did have a T or 6 or something.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:41 AM

I agree with Clarkmeister. I think that you played this hand well. There is a good chance a player like this will show you bottom pair some of the time, but not often enough to offset the odds your getting on the call.
Old 12-17-2004, 05:07 AM

If you lead the turn, is she still auto-raising you?
Against many aggressive opponents when they raise the flop heads up I like to lead the turn.
Giving the player description, I can't fault the line you took.
I just hate check calling with over cards. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Its too stressful.
Old 12-17-2004, 05:19 AM

i hate it. i think you butchered this one. It became a "ive got a bigger salami than you do" contest. The pot is small. You cannot put her on a hand...she can have anything. Any pair is good, plus if she raised you with a gutshot on the flop, like 78 or 89, she just got there. 45 got there on the river as well. There arent too many hands that you are beating at this point. Do you put her precisely on A9? No, she would have 3 bet PF. If we sit here and count all the hands that you can beat, we might just be able to use one hand. Againts hyperaggressive players in the BB who will raise you on the flop HU no matter what, i dont even raise PF w AJ because if i just call, they will raise me themselves. Against them, i have a monster, and i want them to represent a big A in case an A flops. You are not gonna get her off a pair, so you either call her down, or you just check fold the flop or turn. There is no $ in the pot....let her have this one.
vitaly
Old 12-17-2004, 05:32 AM

I agree in that I dont "like" this hand, in that its not a situation I want to be in, but I dont think you can fold that easy. You would be giving up way too much agaisnt an openly wild aggressive player.
On the river there is enough money in the pot that you cant let it go.
The turn I think is the only street something different could have been done (3 bet the flop and lead, or call and lead. or check raise turn), but there is something to be said for getting to showdown cheap. I think some of tommy is shining through in mike's game here.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
bb is an overaggro angry asian broad

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
she tends to give me no respect

[/ QUOTE ]

Have things got personal? I'm assuming that you can control your emotions farely well if you're playing and winning at this level. For me, against super-aggressive opponents, I often can't bring myself to fold such a hand. Was this always going to be a showdown for you no matter what came?

Is she attractive?