Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2004, 02:03 PM

Default Re: Religion

[ QUOTE ]
I judge the tree by the fruit that it bears, for instance I have a hard time believing the that the book of mormon was delivered by jesus to the people in north america, however every mormon that I have known has been hard working, commited to family and community. I dont care how thier religion was originated I am generally impressed with the results.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am a very liberal Mormon and was just having a similar conversation with my much wiser father in law. While our clergy and members all recite the mantra "We are the one true church" it is an imperfect church to say the least. I have a lot of disagreements with our church however I fully appreciate the positive things that it provides. To quote Harry Connick Jr. "And the preacher said .... The church is the shelter, not the faith son." I think the Bible was inspired by a higher power as was the Book of Mormon. However, as they were written by man, they are not infallible. Irregardless, both books have some very valuable advice, and many religions do as well. Even Anton LAVey's satic bible, and the Principia Discordia have ideas that many would benifit to learn. So when it comes to religion, worry less about the how, why, when, etc. and worry about what there is to be learned, and to be gained from any religion. The churchs are just there to provide assistance.