Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2004, 12:40 PM

Default Feedback requested (relatively common situation)

Brit Pound 2/5 NL, 6-handed

I have about BP600, other two players have about BP1000 apiece.

I pick up J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the BB. Unknown UTG raises to BP15, quite loose slightly passive Button calls, I make it BP75, both call.

Flop is 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I push all-in for BP525 more into the BP225 pot.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:51 PM

Default Re: Feedback requested (relatively common situation)

I wouldn't have reraised preflop with JJ.

I would rather call the 15 and play them for set value (there have been many discussions over whether to treat JJ like a 'big pair' or 'small pair' and I prefer small pair.) With you being in early position having been called in two spots you really have no information about your opponents hands. You very well might be against QQ, KK, or AA and have no idea and being in first position your preflop raise puts you in a really precarious situation if all rags flop or even if there is a flop like Q62.

There are not many flops that I love here that don't contain a jack and therefore I would have called preflop then led out for a pot (45) sized bet and gauged the reactions that the bet recieved.

Hope this worked out for you and you were called by TT or that QQ made a big fold.

-Steve
Old 12-16-2004, 12:54 PM

Yikes. JJ is probably the best hand here, as the only person with a set might be the button, but pushing 525 into a 225 pot seems a little overboard. What if UTG has QQ KK or AA and just smooth-called your reraise? Since you are representing a strong overpair, you can probably bet the pot or a little more and be just fine. Remember, if you can sell your hand for less than an all-in, there's no need to push. I agree with a strong bet here, and you do put a lot of pressure on the other two players, but an all-in almost seems like too much. Also, if you made a pot-sized bet and were raised all in--would you call?
Old 12-16-2004, 01:56 PM

My first question would be which site are you playing on. Certainly the British sites that are part of the Crypto Logic group feature a far lower standard of play than the US/Global sites, so if you make assumptions based on the $5/$10 NL game on Stars you are going to be in for a surprise.

I really don't like the reraise preflop, because it puts you out of position against guys that you aren't really going to be able to pigeon-hole as easily as you might on other sites, and you just give yourself such a hard job on the flop. The all-in on the flop I also dislike, as the majority of the time you are in a bad place if you get a call, however on some of the sites I wouldn't fall of my chair if you wind up getting called by Ace-bit of clubs.
Old 12-16-2004, 02:38 PM

Yes, it was CryptoLogic (Interpoker).

Thanks, for the responses, guys. I must rethink my play of these pairs (I am primarily a limit player, I suppose it shows [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]).

For the record, I was called by the button with KK.