Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2004, 12:41 PM

Default Re: my problem in tournaments

I didn't mean to make it sound as if ONLY l0 hands would tell you EVERYTHING about the players at a table. I was merely suggesting that instead of jumping in with a moderate hand the minute you're placed at a new table, by watching "a round" MIGHT give you some clue as to how they are playing. As I mentioned previously...I'm new, I was only stating what I do, wasn't saying it was the right thing, or the smart thing, and obviously you definitely think it's the dumb and wrong thing.

I was told this was a great site for sharing and those new to the game of poker were always welcome. But, I'm beginning to think otherwise. Seems when someone says something that those of you that consider themselves to be the pros of the game, are mighty quick to make fun of and run down whatever is said that you disagree with.

It appears you're on here to belittle someone that is new to the game, instead of giving advise that could be beneficial. All I've learned so far is that there's alot of rude people on here.
So sad.
Happy Holidays.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:24 AM

great post Mark
Old 12-16-2004, 09:05 AM

I'd like to kick this around too--just finding my way in MTTs...the only thinig is that I don't think any kind of table image helps much from early to mid--cause you're most likely to have been moved several times?
Old 12-16-2004, 10:07 AM

First of all--many thanks for that post--it's a great help to newbies like me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
I just wonder about the later stages also--is there some sort of formula you can use to estimate how many blinds/pots are necessary to steal in order to stay even+?
I keep thinking that stack/cost must give you an answer as far as a target to keep you going??
Old 12-16-2004, 11:58 AM

eMarkm, this is one of the most helpful posts I have seen yet. I was in the middle of an MTT when I read this post on a break. I was always fairly lost on blind stealing/re-stealing and just trying the methods in your post I have gone from a very precarious position to a strong one. Thank you for clarifying this concept for me!
Old 12-16-2004, 01:43 PM

Great post!

However, I do have some advice for the dilemma faced by the original poster. I have been in this exact situation many times yet have managed to make it to the final table. What that tells me is that my early stage play needs improvement but having said that many times you do end up with a average to below average stack in the middle of the tourney so what is the avenue open to you to make it to the final table?

The first thing I do is watch the action on the table. There is a set pattern that many players have already fallen into that gives you a good cue as to what they will do under various circumstances. If you are not in a position to "afford" to steal a bet -- then don't. What I mean by this is if your stack is so low that making a bet of 3 to 4X bet with a hand that you would have to fold if the blind plays back at you would effectively cripple your chances. There is no certain thing in life so if you carefully watch the action and feel reasonably confident that the blinds will yeild then go for it otherwise hold back. Save them bullets. So you can't afford to steal the blinds then you would have to wait for a hand where you can make your play. Small/medium pocket pairs are a great avenue for comeback (if they make a set) so try and see if you can limp in with such a hand and get lucky. Quite often you can and you will get lucky. One hand like this and you are back in the hunting mode and now can heed the advice as to what to do when you have a good-enough stack.

Alternatively, let us assume that you have the same situation (average to below-average stack) and lady luck does not smile your way. Blinds begin to eat at you. You feel desperate. You get dealt an A-9 in mid position and you want to push and take your chances! From experience I can only tell you that you should resist this urge and just say to yourself "if you are not lucky you just are not but you will not foolishly go down! Let the chips fall where they may!" Your 5 minutes of sunshine may be just around the corner. Remember, all it takes is one hand for you to make a comeback so it is probably wise to save your bullets for that one rather than trying out a mediocre hand in desperation and ending your tourney life.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:36 PM

Here is another great post on this topic (in my opinion):

[ QUOTE ]
Tournament Strategy

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-22-2004, 01:19 PM

At this stage, a lot of the weaker players have been eliminated. You are not going to get paid off as much, so slow down. Play fewer hands especially shy away from stuff that is not going to stand up on preflop values eg 65s, JTo, etc..
Old 12-22-2004, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is another great post on this topic (in my opinion):

[ QUOTE ]
Tournament Strategy

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry, but I can't finish a post that starts with this nugget of logical gold:

You can count all the 'outs', calculate your odds and relative probabilities, but somehow when it's 'crunch time' none of that ever seems to matter. The self professed 'tight' players who fold and fold and fold and fold to their hearts content, and then boldly thrust all their chips into the center of the ring with pocket Kings UTG seem to inevitably get burned by a loose big stack caller with A/2os more often than not catching that miracle turn or river card. This is the irony which seems to poetically define the game we have come to love and hate with equal passion. Logic defies it.. which is what makes it such a frustrating and equally rewarding game for winners are losers alike. (and visa versa)