Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2004, 04:45 PM

Default Re: How does one know when one is good?

[ QUOTE ]
The corollary to this can be summed up simply as "smart people know what they don't know."

[/ QUOTE ]

And the wise don't care either way.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:37 AM

It's all relative.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How does one know when one is good?

[/ QUOTE ]

When one stops referring to oneself in the 3rd person, one has taken the first step toward being good.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well said. The dumbest people think they're brilliant, and many of the smartest are smart enough to know how smart they're not, if that makes any sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

It does and I agree.

[ QUOTE ]
The corollary to this can be summed up simply as "smart people know what they don't know."

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree again.

Head to the good ol' B&M room and you'll find that most players think they are good....but are incorrect in their self-assessment.

Yesterday my Dad sent me an e-mail saying that his golfing-buddy considered himself a decent poker player and was interested in internet-poker and wanted my opinion on what sites were good.

Since my Dad doesn't play poker he had no way of knowing whether this guy really IS good other than just the guy's general intelligence (and the guy's background in financial advising and investing).
I sent my Dad the general advice (get a neteller acct, party has the most players, stars has good tournaments, etc etc) and also mentioned that probably 80-90% of bad poker players think they are better than average.
Old 12-16-2004, 01:29 PM

I just felt like answering a question with another question. Kind of like a Zen thing or an ESPN commercial [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Anyway, some of you got the point I was trying to make. I think Good players know when they are good players and more importantly they know why they are good. The problem with all this is that almost everyone thinks they are good and the ones who don't think they are good are probably better than most who think they are. Phew that was a mouthful.