Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2004, 10:42 AM

Default Re: Reading What The Enemy Reads

Oh... now we're talking about Hellmuth's book, not Jones. That's different. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I've not been playing poker long, so i don't have the historical background to judge whether all the low-limit hanging on to middle pairs is a product of Hellmuth, of all the NLHE on TV, or what. But it's gotta be profitable, watching everyone hold on to two-outers like 77 to the river with AQ9x on the board in a 5-handed pot.
Old 12-15-2004, 03:09 PM

I wouldn't bother reading the "bad" books... I was bored in the airport about 6mos ago and saw PPLTP on the shelf so I bought it. I ended up leaving it on the plane [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] My strategy against a "hellmuth pro" isn't going to be any different than against any other fish that's going to 3bet with 66 or 78s or whatever.
Old 12-15-2004, 03:10 PM

I wasn't critizing the book it definitely helps people stop the bleeding at the tables.

I just question the need to read it as weak-tight is so predictable.

Base on the replies here, I think reading Helmuth book may be worthwhile, because I have seen some pretty bizare preflop rasing lately which can only be attributed to poker on TV or Helmuth's book. If the Helmuth book does not follow the avoid trouble approach of WLLH, it would be worth understanding it more. I probably give it a skim at Barnes & Nobles.
Old 12-15-2004, 05:35 PM

It might also be worth noting that Hellmuth's book is one of the top-selling poker books right now, it might even be #1. Its also so much cheaper than the real books that it may be the first (and hopefully the only) book that the fish read. As long as they don't go any further than that, I'm happy. Although Sklanksy, Malmuth, and Miller have helped me make so much that I hope they make a fortune selling their books.