Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2004, 07:53 PM

Default Re: QJo, standard, over or underagressive?

[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only one that folds this pre flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

this hand is an auto-fold for me too, especially in this positon. The rare time that I do play this hand is either on the button (raise for attempted steal) or a complete in the sb. Other than that, this hand is considered junk by me.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:29 PM

Yikes, I guess I'm finding out where my 20 VPIP is comin from. I limp with this normally at loose tables.

People are playing MUCH worse hands than this.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:33 PM

hey sic- do you have pokertracker? if so, how're your stats with QJo? just curious. for me it's my #1 loser - that's what finally convinced me that QJo is pretty bad (and seems deceptively good)
-t
Old 12-14-2004, 09:41 PM

QJo is a trouble hand. I generally fold it. However, if you play this hand I think you're looking for a straight draw or Q + junk.

If you think you are in a top pair fight when a J hits you have to worry about AJ and KJ as many people limp with those hands.

In a top pair fight when a Q falls, you have to worry about KQ. (the other hands that beat you are generally raise preflop).
Old 12-14-2004, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this hand is an auto-fold for me too, especially in this positon. The rare time that I do play this hand is either on the button (raise for attempted steal) or a complete in the sb. Other than that, this hand is considered junk by me.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you complete as the SB and the BB raises, do you call or fold to 1 bet PF?
Old 12-15-2004, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you complete as the SB and the BB raises, do you call or fold to 1 bet PF?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess this depends on how many people are in the hand. If it is 4 handed or less, I fold for one more bet. 5 or more and I think I'm getting good enough odds on 1sb to make the call, but I would play the hand very carefully.
Old 12-15-2004, 03:05 PM

Why is QJo an autofold? Per SSH this is playable in late position even going by the tight standards.

Thinking you're going to be up against your kicker+a higher card every time seems very weak tight to me (not directed at k0000k, more at the overall tone here).

QJo is probably a marginal play from CO-1, but that's where I'd start playing it, depending on the table.

Al
Old 12-16-2004, 10:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thinking you're going to be up against your kicker+a higher card every time seems very weak tight to me (not directed at k0000k, more at the overall tone here).

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'm just a tighty, I'm 17% in .5/1. I'm not necessarily scared of being dominated, I just dont like being in awkward positions later on in the hand... When you hit your hand isn't that great, especially in the lower limits where everyone comes along for the ride. There's a lot of overcards, a lot of ways QJo can go wrong.

If I was on the button or CO, I might open raise with it, if the blinds were rocks. I'd rather steal the blinds than see a flop. But then again, when does .5/1 table ever fold to the CO? If I got dealt QJo late, I'd have the 'fold' pre-select button checked before I even find out.

I guess I just think it's more hassle than it's worth.. QJo might be incredibly small +EV, I'm sure it makes your variance a lot higher than your bankroll. Picking a penny out the bottom of your garbage can is +EV too, but why bother?
Old 12-16-2004, 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If it is 4 handed or less, I fold for one more bet. 5 or more and I think I'm getting good enough odds on 1sb to make the call, but I would play the hand very carefully.

[/ QUOTE ]

this might be ok if you don't trust yourself postflop, but 4 handed, with everyone coming along, you'd be getting 7-1 on the second call - just fyi. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

to those that automuck in: I sometimes play it after a few particularly bad limpers, and I usually muck it even on the button against typical opposition at 1/2, where I'm VP$IP 18. it normally just makes too many expensive second best hands to be messing around with. but against those opponents that will routinely play Q's and J's with worse kickers, and whose raises definitely mean I'm no good, there's no crime in playing it - just don't make it an auto-play.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is QJo an autofold?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because Hero is not in CO or Button.