Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2004, 11:17 AM

Default Re: How would you have played this?

DrGutshot, my logic for waiting until the turn is this: the guy is not a sophisticated player. Or rather, I didn't think he was and I wouldn't give him credit for that. Here's what I thought my play should have been:

Call so I can see the turn.
Turn is Kd.
I have no doubt my opponent bets big and by this I mean most likely goes all in.
I have confirmed he was on the flush draw and fold with still $2K+ in chips.

River is a blank.
I have no doubt my opponent would check.
I would move all in.
I know my opponent would not call an all-in just to see the river on a draw.
My opponent folds.

River is a blank.
My opponent surprises me and bets out.
I would call or move all-in, easily.

However, I'm not smart enough to have done all this processing the moment I needed to. At that moment, my brain was screaming for me to move all in to get rid of this guy. After the play I realized, though, this guy would never have gone away.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:59 PM

You got your money in with way the best of it. You made it incorrect for your opponent to continue. You were a huge favorite to win this hand and have a dominating amount of chips. Instead your opponent got lucky and drew out on you. I think you are overanalyzing this simply because you lost the hand.

And to say you would fold the turn if a diamond comes just seems crazy to me. First, he may not even have a flush. He could have A9o, he could have Qd9o and be betting on a semi-bluff, hoping you will fold. And what if he doesn't bet all-in. What if he bets like 1K? You have to call and I am never a fan of calling off half your stack. Like I said in my previous post, I don't see anyway you are getting away from this so you might as well go all-in when you are a huge favorite.

Here is a question for you...
Pre-flop (stacks/situation same as above), your opponent moves all-in for your entire stack. Before you look at your cards he flips over AK. You look down and see KK, what do you do?
Old 12-14-2004, 02:55 PM

I would call.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:15 PM

KK preflop vs AK win % - 69.61
55 vs. Qd9d on Ad9x5d board - 69.90

Hopefully this will help put in perspective why you did the right thing and why you shouldn't worry that you lost this hand.
Old 12-15-2004, 05:42 PM

I’m not a big tourney player, but the scenario is interesting. You have position on him, so what if you simply doubled the $275 that he just called and raise $600. Not close to half your stack, but gives you more of a chance to get a read on the potential draw. Also, there’s a small chance you could get a free look at the river after his flush was made on the turn. At least I wouldn’t think he goes all-in and if he does you know it’s less likely a bluff.

Obviously, this is simple application of ring theory...not sure how different tourney play is.

BTW-Nice read on him.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:40 PM

Don't give me too much credit on the read! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I have played against him a number of times and understand his style of play: he's very literal. When he bets he has it and when he calls he's drawing. There really isn't much to this person.

I thought about the raise as well and it occurred to me that he would have called the raise. He called my all in with the usualy, "Ahh, what the hell, let's gamble." If he's willing to gamble all his chips, he's willing to gamble less then half. But I like the idea because it does give me more information and it allows me to see 4th and how he plays it. Plus, it helps grow the pot. I am 100% confident that he would have moved all in when the Kd hit on fourth. If not, I would have.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 12-16-2004, 01:33 AM

If people are limping into your pots out of position with Q9, you probably aren't raising often enough.