Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2004, 12:30 PM

Default Is it ever right to slow play a hand in O8?

This is spawned off of Nick709's thread when he slowplayed his wheel by just check calling all the way. The concensus seemed to be that he should slow play up until the river. I normally never slow play in O8 since I very rarely have a bullet proof hand where I have the nut low and nut high at the same time or the stone cold nuts. What situations do you guys (if ever) slowplay your O8 hands?
Old 12-14-2004, 01:27 PM

Default Re: Is it ever right to slow play a hand in O8?

I can think of only two times --- flopping or turning quads and flopping or turning aces full when two aces are on board and the other card forming the pair is the highest on board (aside from the aces, obviously)... e.g. if the board at the turn is A Q A 8 and you hold and ace and a queen.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:30 PM

in any split pot game, you generally want to keep as many people in as possible if you have a lock for one side but have no chance of winning the other... this happens a lot in o/8 and to a lesser extent in stud/8

mike
Old 12-14-2004, 02:49 PM

I don't think its right to ever slowplay a hand with 1 low card on flop or 2 low cards on the turn.

In that AQA8 example, don't you want to make the hands with 23 pay out the nose to try and steal half from you?
Old 12-14-2004, 02:57 PM

If I have A234 and the flop is 256 why would I want any customers out of my pot on the flop?
Old 12-14-2004, 03:05 PM

There is always a schmoe holding a hand like KT78 in there against me that ends up hitting a higher straight on the river.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is spawned off of Nick709's thread when he slowplayed his wheel by just check calling all the way. The concensus seemed to be that he should slow play up until the river. I normally never slow play in O8 since I very rarely have a bullet proof hand where I have the nut low and nut high at the same time or the stone cold nuts. What situations do you guys (if ever) slowplay your O8 hands?

[/ QUOTE ]

Slowplaying is almost never correct in limit Omaha-8. Giving a free card is too dangerous for any high hand weaker than the strongest full houses. If you have the nut low along with a hand that's virtually invulnverable for high, you shouldn't slowplay because if you bet you might get action from other nut lows (the same is true if you have the nut low draw). Even if there's only one low card on board, you usually want to force backdoor low draws out rather than risk splitting the pot with them. And even when you do have a monster hand, there's often the possibility that some hands that are out there will give you action - if you have KK, the board is KJJ, and many people took the flop, don't slowplay since you might get action from someone with a jack. With quads on an all-high board you might slowplay (and hope someone makes something like a flush, full house, or broadway that might call a bet on the river), because you're almost certain to get no calls on the flop, and the free cards you give aren't dangerous to you at all.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:20 PM

It will be a very rare occaision where I will have a very tight table image. If you do, then bets drive out even the loosest players. Otherwise, here is my approach:

There are two types of LL O/8 games, the usual loose passive and the one where the rocks reside. If I am in a game with rocks, I will change tables. In the normal O/8 game, I only slow play quads and bad-beat hands. I will only check/raise if I know there is a maniac in back of me who will bet 90% or more of the time. My rule is NEVER let them draw for free - especially if they might beat me for 1/2 or more of pot. Even if I flop a wheel, they can draw to full houses, back-door flushes, higher straights or even another wheel card to tie/beat me.

Make them pay. They will run you down on occaision, but you will come out ahead by playing straight up most of the time.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:46 PM

well im thinking more of an example where u have say an ace-trey, flop the nut low but have no draws or redraws to straights or flushes
Old 12-14-2004, 04:36 PM

I once flopped a royal flush with the ace in my hand. That is a definite slowplay. I ended up getting good action when the board paired.

But if the ace is on board, think you have to bet it. No free card to get make a low draw on turn.