Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2004, 04:09 AM

Default The Butcher

Live 10/20....playing like it's a 1/2....great game

I get AsKh in the BB.....MP 1 open raises, Co 3-bets, button calls cold, SB calls...I call, and MP 1 caps.....5 players to the flop...The only player who seems to know what's going on is MP1....

Flop is

Ks Th 3c

Checked to MP1 who bets, all called and I decide that I'm going to checkraise a safe turn....

Turn is 2d....

Sweet.....Everyone checks.....Not sweet

the river is a J of clubs, and now I decide I don't know what to do, so I'll just check call....except no one bets and I win.....

So, I think I misplayed this hand on every street, and I'd like for you to tell me what I should do differently next time....thanks
Old 12-14-2004, 04:24 AM

Default Re: The Butcher

lead into the PFR on the flop and hope he raises it and clears out the field.
Its a big pot, be aggressive, be be aggressive. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-14-2004, 04:58 AM

PF:Cap
Flop:Checkraise
Turn/River:Bet out as long as board stays reasonably safe. What do others think of this as this is the reasoning that would first come to me if I was playing.
Old 12-14-2004, 05:58 AM

cap preflop. definetly c/r thsi flop. the board is fairly innocuous and you can trap all the limpers for 2sb on the flop. bet the turn and river.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:47 AM

I didn't cap because of a glance at MP1, who was holding the cap bet in his hand....so I thought I'd keep my hand value hidden.....

I thought about C/R the flop, but I figured the turn C/R would be the best place to get value out of this hand...

If the turn checkraise was successful, would you still be recommending a flop C/R??

I don't usually checkraise the flop against preflop raisers when AK flops top pair, but maybe I should be....reasons??
Old 12-14-2004, 11:52 AM

I dont like trapping people in the pot here.
the pot has 20 sb already,
people have odds to draw at just about anything, you want them to fold not be trapped to hit 2 pair on you in a monster pot.

you hope somebody makes the mistake of laying down middle pair.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:34 PM

I liked the turn checkraise attempt myself. I probably would have bet the river though.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:01 PM

Hi Alex,

Great title. I don't see a cap by you preflop as advantageous. You are in a game where someone will cap anyway, you're out of position, and can get in stealth mode. Calling is fine.

Unfortunately, you need to expect pf raiser/capper to bet the flop, so a flop check-raise attempt is futile. I would undoubtedly lead on the flop and hope his raises out the field. This will better your chance of winning this large pot.

You mentioned that pf raiser is the only one who knows what he's doing. If he feels he's behind (AQs,QQ,JJ?), then he probably wouldn't lead in a large field with nothing. I don't like the turn check-raise attempt.

Bet the river.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:30 AM

i used to do things like this as well...everybody does...then you learn and move on and improve, as you will.

in this pot, with those people in your position you need to play straightforward in this pot imo. bet raise etc...

elminate people when you can...checking won't do that here so you bet.

on the river after everyone checks you must bet!!
-Barron
Old 12-15-2004, 12:55 AM

When ever it's capped preflop like this, I just play it straight forward..bet and hope mp1 raises so you can reraise, the pots big enough already so its important to try and get people to fold hands that have five outs like A3 and the best way to do this is bet into the capper.

If you play it like you did I think you have to check raise after the MP1 bets on the flop and everyone calls, you had the chance to get at least 4 more SB and MP1 may be scared to bet on the turn when everyone calls.

I see alot of hands like this that are capped preflop multi handed get capped on the flop, you just need to jump start things.

-Pete