Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2004, 04:01 AM

Default Re: Pre-flop TT v. an EXTREMELY tight raiser

I like how you played this. you still had 1 out to catch four of a kind. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

no seriously they convinced me that folding before the flop was your best option.

also, seems like you knew that you should not have called it down based on his uncontrollable shaking combined with your preflop read on him.

let the hand go. trust your read. a good read is worthless if you ignore it.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:03 AM

Default Re: OK, heres the rest...

There was unlimited raising but it wouldn't apply until the turn because 3 players saw the flop.

Seems like I played this hand really badly pre-flop because I agree with you, folding is best and calling is better than re-raising because isolating a hand that likely has me killed is BAD news.

I think the problem is that I play mostly online where it is very difficult to have a good enough read on someone to fold TT. In this spot however, I think I should have. You pick up a LOT about people live and I'm not used to having that much info at my disposal.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But do you see AA enough here to merit the calldown? Would he 3bet AA on this board after you raise?

I would lean toward no from your description.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, realize that my read was made stronger after this hand played out. I know this ruins what happened but I think I actually gave the results away long ago.

I sort of posted the read as what it became rather than what it was then and there at the table, which is a mistake. At the time I was maybe 70% confident that the read I ultimately got was correct. This hand cemented it though [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].
Old 12-14-2004, 04:15 AM

TT is actually pretty marginal in most cases. They don't have to be much tighter than average to make folding this hand correct. Against this guy, it's an easy fold.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:52 AM

no, against the player you describe you should have folded preflop, and folded again on the flop when he makes it 3-bets.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:58 AM

In case you were not aware, the shaking hands you describe in this post is straight from caro's book of poker tells. It means bad news with a fair degree of accuracy.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is the next best thing...I think that if you are gonna play then cold calling is better since you give some of the other players a chance to get in, by 3betting you are kicking everyone out and you will most likley need a set to win this one so you would like some company in the hand...

[/ QUOTE ]

This plan to coldcall would be much worse than three-betting. With only three players remaining, Hero would only be getting 4:1 on his money even if everyone coldcalls behind him. He does not have the implied odds for a set unless the players behind him are very aggressive and take their hands too far, since he already knows that the PF raiser will not give him excessive action unless his hand improves even further.

Consequently, I believe that this is clearly a raise or fold situation.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:14 AM

Well depending on how tight, he may only raise AA(6)/KK(6)/QQ(6)/AK(16)/AQs(4). So you're ahead slightly more than 50% of the time and if an ace or king hits you can get away every time.

Raising isn't terrible, since a cap pretty much guarantees AA/KK or maybe even AA, allowing you to believe him more likely to have overcards on a flop. Of course if it's going to get you heads up I'm not sure you can guarantee your equity without another worse hand following. That makes it a call or a fold.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:20 AM

What a mess (the situation, not your play so much). I think here's a situation where you have to toss SSH and use your reads. This guy's not a bad enough player to make calling down a good thing since you're probably drawing to one out when he three bets you. He may be a terrible player, but for an online example, when I get raised on the flop by a sLP-P (your description) with an postflop AF of 0 (or 0.1) after a hundred hands or so, then I respect it unless I'm drawing to the nuts or already have a better hand than a set.