Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2004, 07:25 PM

Default Re: Starting Hand Requirements

I agree with yea and I will tighen up EP to AA-JJ [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-13-2004, 07:26 PM

Forgot to add and limp with the rest hoping for a set [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-13-2004, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't have alot of tourney experience that's why I'm here. I was thinking that coming in for a raise 4x the BB and if lots of limpers then 5-6x the BB to weed the crowd. Then if I'm raised from an LP depending on the raise I might call it. LP could be playing allot of different cards and I wouldn't put my tourney life at stake for AQ or even AJs. Do you think raising 3BB is enough?

[/ QUOTE ]

3 is fine.. if there are limpers you should only be raising with AQ from late position, not from early because of the chance of someone picking up AK, AA, KK or QQ and popping you back, and then you're in a world of pain. But of course, with limpers, you raise more. Look for Daliman's post on it, I didn't raise enough before reading it, now I do [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

As for LP could be playing a lot of cards, I think you need to read about the 'gap concept' to find this isn't usually the case, unless he's a maniac.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:39 PM

I will try to find Daliman's post and I have been reading up on the gap concept tonight. Thanks for your help =)
Old 12-13-2004, 11:32 PM

I don't understand why people raise AJs in SNGs 33s. Ok, maybe a small raise in LP to fold out the blinds.

Are you hoping get called by AT or KJ with a raise? Keep them in with a limp. I limp with AJs UTG and fold to a raise.

You raised UTG...

1. You're likely to be dominated.
2. You're really only comfortable if you flop a J.
3. You're in a world of hurt against a reraise.

Limp. Save up for a big double up with a set of 4s.

If you're playing at Poker Room, where you start with 1500, limp with 22 you can handle a 100 raise.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, at Party. If it's an aggressive table then there's no way to play 22 UTG, it can't withstand a raise, and my odds to play for a set are gone to whack.

[/ QUOTE ]

And that, in a nutshell, is why I will never play at party. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-14-2004, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise with AJs? No thanks, unless it's folded to me in late position. AQ I will raise again in late position, but this time with limpers - otherwise it's a limp, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

wait...so if a few limp to you in lp and u hold AQ u raise, but if folds to you in lp same hand you limp? That seems the opposite of what one should do imo. Maybe I misunderstood though in which case, sorry. Or I understood but just play it differently maybe. Of course it helps to clarify that we are speaking of early levels in a SNG, right? (1-3)
Old 12-16-2004, 06:13 PM

Not sure what the hell I was on about tbh. Yes I'd raise it first in as well.