Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2004, 03:26 PM

Default Re: Should I value 3 -bet?

The hands you chose to oppose Q7s, while legitimate loose limping hands, do happen to favor Q7s. There are no better Q or 7 (or pocket pairs higher than 7). On the other hand, you did put both overcards (K and A) in other player hands, and even a better single spade (KsJ).
Old 12-11-2004, 03:41 PM

T9s is a hand that you could concievably loose a huge pot with if you make a flush. You can't really "value bet" a totally unmade hand like T9s before the flop.
Old 12-11-2004, 05:43 PM

Solid straight-forward play is the way to beat bad straight-forward play.

Your arguments don't hold up since you are going to win extra chips when you flop a draw whether you cap it or not. And, you will NOT be able to get away from it easily if you miss: one of the "benefits" of capping lightely is that you build a pot that YOU can draw slim to later. In this case if you flop a whip-saw (3-flush 3-straight), you should invest on the flop; and if you flop a single pair in a huge pot you are going to the river.

Building a big pot that you figure to fold later is a relative disaster; especially if you are building it as an underdog (will win less than one time in 6).

Don't get cute. Call.

- Louie
Old 12-12-2004, 02:21 AM

You're in a great spot no matter what you do, but it is even better if you just call. Then if you flop a pair, you can bet into button and hopefully get his raise for protection, if you flop a decent draw, you can C/R the button, if you flop a monster, you can do either depending on how big. I love having the agressor as the only one who has position on me, particularly if he's capable of following through with aggressive postflop play. It's almost like acting last with the SB leading into 6-7 players except that the button doesn't need half the hand the SB does to bet.