Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2004, 08:00 AM

Default AK fold. Was this just dumb?

Does 5/10 count as mid limit?

6H folded to me on the button with AhKd. I raise.
SB folds, BB three bets. I cap. Call.

The game's fishy UK (net) style but the BB's been there about 20 mins and he's not been launching chips like the others. I don't know if he's any good.

Flop is rags, all spades. He bets, I fold.

Just some opinions please. I don't know either way. I keep thinking that perhaps I should have raised.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:22 AM

Default Re: AK fold. Was this just dumb?

So, the flop came down all rags of a single suit which you don't have, tainting your outs and possibly causing you to already be drawing dead. You have Ace-high and are drawing to a single pair but you can't be sure which, if either, of your pairs will be good even if you do hit. Even if your Ace-high is good or you are drawing live, there are plenty more spades in the deck just waiting to jump out and ruin your day.

I don't think folding here is stupid.

SpaceAce
Old 12-10-2004, 08:24 AM

The call and cap preflop are both decent actions here. Especially because you raised on the button and he might just be defending his blind. Capping usually allows you to take the lead on the hand.

On the flop you have to fold, a raise is an option but if you raise and get called you would need to bluff the whole hand, and I just don't think that this is a profitable strategy.

Bad flop. Well played.

-Steve
Old 12-10-2004, 08:26 AM

Heads up play is highly opponent dependent. Against an unknown I would call and take a card off here. His bet is suspicious -- if he flopped a great hand, why didn't he check raise?

You should be prepared to fold if something ugly comes such as another spade, or a queen or a jack. If the turn and river are small offsuit cards, your correct play becomes highly opponent dependent.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
His bet is suspicious -- if he flopped a great hand, why didn't he check raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would the villain need a great hand? There are steps between "great" and "total bluff". Don't you think a hand like TT would bet here? Our hero is not getting very attractive odds to draw against any pair. What about a baby flush that the villain caught while defending his blind against a button raise?

Also, if the villain thinks deep enough to get tricky with a big hand, maybe he also thinks deep enough to realize that his flop bet may very well be seen as an auto-bet.

SpaceAce
Old 12-10-2004, 01:31 PM

I am beginning to think that folding overs is rarely, if ever, horrible. In this case I think this is a very easy fold. When you are behind, which is more often than you'd like to think, you are drawing slim or dead, and when you are ahead you are only slightly ahead and very possibly an underdog as villain is a favorite any time s/he holds two live cards with one spade. It all adds up to a quiet exit.

The only reason to continue imo is if you think there is a good chance in relation to the pot size that the bet on the flop is just a continuation of a steal, re-steal, re-re-steal combination. If that is the case, you must raise the flop and bet the turn or smooth call the flop and raise ANY turn, whichever you think is most likely to induce a fold. If you take one of those lines keep in mind two things: 1 - you are on a stone cold bluff and 2 - you must be against an opponent who is capable of laying down a better hand.