Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2004, 11:48 AM

Default O8 Hand overplayed on the turn?

Did I overplay the turn here, while holding the nuts but no draw to a better hand?

Live 3/6 O8, 9-handed. Table is full of typical loose O8 players playing crap cards, but there are a few with a clue, including the BB.

I'm in the CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and call. Called around to the BB who raises (claims it's in the dark but not sure). Called around to me so I 3-bet to build a pot while holding a good hand. Called back around to the BB who calls. Everyone else calls. Family pot for 3 bets preflop. (YUMMY)

Flop comes K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

(VERY nice)

BB bets (not sure what he has), EP raises (I immediately put him on a set), one caller, I 3-bet with my wrap-around, one more caller, BB calls, EP caps, called around.

Turn 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB checks, EP bets, folded to me and I raise, BB calls, EP 3-bets (maybe he has QJ also?), I cap it, BB calls, EP calls.

River: T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (YUKKKKK)

BB bets (damn!), EP calls, I overcall knowing I'm beat.

Results in white:
<font color="white">
BB has Ace high diamonds (had AQ in his hand, looking for the gutshot on the flop picked up a flush draw on the turn and rode the wave)

EP showed the K-high flush, along with J7.</font>
Old 12-08-2004, 01:47 PM

Default Re: O8 Hand overplayed on the turn?

The only place I think you could have saved a bet was maybe just calling the 3-bet on the turn. Against two opponents, your cap isn't driving anyone out, but it really doesn't matter either way.

Hit a better card on the river next time, tough hand. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

BTW, I don't think you can raise "in the dark" in the BB, before the flop. That's funny stuff.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only place I think you could have saved a bet was maybe just calling the 3-bet on the turn. Against two opponents, your cap isn't driving anyone out, but it really doesn't matter either way.

[/ QUOTE ]

At that point I was thinking if I was gonna get beat they'd have to pay to get there. Plus with 3 people in the hand and (as it turns out) only 13 killer outs and 3 split outs, I was definitely getting the best of it.

[ QUOTE ]
Hit a better card on the river next time, tough hand. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I asked the dealer for a black deuce but he didn't oblige. Damn him!

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, I don't think you can raise "in the dark" in the BB, before the flop. That's funny stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

He did that the following hand as well, but I'm pretty sure I saw him sneak a peek at his cards so I doubt he was raising in the dark.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:53 AM

If it was heads up I may just call the 3 bet thinking we both had the straight and my opponent may be free rolling to a better hand.

I don't think capping it 3 handed is a bad play. It is unlikely both of your opponents also have QJ. So if a safe card comes you will either scoop or split the pot. Cards that pair the board or complete the flush are not safe. There are 12 cards that pair the board (three each of Ks, Ts, 8s, and 9s) plus 7 more diamonds (we already counted the K and T of [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]). So that is 19 out of 44 unseen cards that are bad. So you are a favorite to win some of the pot on the river.

Note that if an opponent also has QJ, you may scoop if a Q or J comes since you improve to an Ace high straight.