Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2004, 02:31 PM

Default Re: Kevin Nealon = worst poker announcer ever?

You know, I tried so hard to make this a hit. I tried everything, and I wasn't even being paid by GSN.

I tried to get them to let an audience come in. I told them they would have a full house at the Arena, and things would seem more exciting. I was overruled.

I told them that they should have kept with the original interviewer, Karina Jett, instead of a woman who said she'd never played poker before, while putting Jett into the hole card cam room.

I gave them a list of questions to use that would interest real poker players, when the busted player gave the answers.

I told them to stop telling the poker players how to dress, that this wasn't the Brady Bunch.

I tried to get them to leave Jim Meehan alone. Trying to make him into Greg Brady was only going to cause more anxiety, while letting him be himself would make a better show.

I tried to get them to use commentators who actually knew something about poker, and to get them involved in the taping of the show, not just something dubbed in later, so that their enthusiasm would show on TV. Who wants to see a "canned" commentary?

For two weeks, I tried everything to make this show a hit, and it all got shoved back in my face, while GSN made mistake after mistake.

Although you would think I'd be happy that they got their comeuppance, instead, it just makes me that much more sad that in a day and age where "anything poker" is almost a sure thing, GSN even managed to screw up that much!

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
www.felicialee.net
Old 12-08-2004, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

My mind is fully in the gutter here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for leaving it there, and not sharing it with us here as so many others do. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 12-08-2004, 04:08 PM

The problem is, GSN will probably get a good number from this (somewhere in the .8-.9 range, double their prime-time average) and this will revive the WPPA, and make Louis TYPE in CAPS RANDOMLY in the MIDDLE of sentences.

Kevin...
Old 12-08-2004, 05:20 PM

subliminal
Old 12-08-2004, 08:13 PM

You could have had Doyle Brunson commentating and it wouldnt have mattered (IMHO). The producers clearly dont have a clue about poker and kept any technical details to a minimum.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:56 PM

According to www.tvgameshows.net, GSN got a .6 for last night's show, with a .7 in it's last 15 minutes. This was a smidge higher than it's World Series of Blackjack and Celebrity Blackjack debuts. Also, 4,200 people signed up for it's 10m sweepstakes (the WPPA winner would split with the contest winner, 50K a year for 49 years, and 2.5m in year 50)

Kevin...
Old 12-09-2004, 06:43 AM

if it wasn't for the occasional shot of evelyn this show would be unwatchable because of him ... next time, it's going on mute
Old 12-09-2004, 11:05 AM

I frankly don't think there has really been even a very good poker analyst yet. This is not a big money job yet. Perhaps
when there is a poker or "gaming" channel, someone will devote 100% of their time to this and be pretty good.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:14 PM

Like I said previously, unless its Howard Lederer doing the analyzing, no serious poker players (i.e. the ones on these forums) are going to like the commentary.

You know why? Because poker players have the biggest egos ever and think they know more than everyone else.

THERE I SAID IT!
Old 01-01-2005, 09:18 PM

Watched this tonight for the first time (our cable company is having a promotion this month and all the premium channels like GSN are free).

Wow, horrible!

I get as annoyed with the repetitiveness of basic information as anyone in the various WSOP, WPT and the British show as anyone, but, in this episode they never once told us what level the blinds were at!!! So it was impossible to judge the size of pre-flop raises, the size of the blinds vs stack sizes, &etc.

Brutal!

It'd be like a football game where the announcer never mentioned how many yards to a first down, or a baseball play by play that just skipped the count of balls and strikes!

Damn near unwatchable!