Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2004, 03:15 AM

Default can\'t take much more

i have been playing for about 2.5 yrs and have gradually gotten better. for tha past yr i have been a consistant winner making a couple hundred a month with an occasional tourny win really boosting my monthly take.In sept i moved across country and spent a good chunk of my bankroll in the process and since i have moved i have lost pretty much the rest playing poker. everytime i play for almost 2 strt months ive lost. I run into between 5 and 10 sets a night playing online(no exageration)with 4 tables going and im keeping my play tight and it just keeps getting tighter. I have dropped down in stakes drastically. I just cant win and was wondering if anyone else goes through streaks this long or if i am just lousy.in 6,255 hands ive had aces 30 times and netted 14 dallors with them what is up ???? any suggestions would be helpful i've run out of ideas and cant take it
Old 12-08-2004, 03:23 AM

Default Re: can\'t take much more

Perhaps you and bjmathey could share that hug? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-08-2004, 04:17 PM

keep the faith. when i hit a long bad streak, here is my thought process:

A: is it just bad luck? if yes, just keep stubbornly plugging away, maybe drop down to one table (i do this before i even consider droppong down limits) if no...
B: i am playing poorly. time to take a couple days off. I go out shoot pool have some pints (or whatever you do to relax). this usually fixes things. if not...
C: is it both of the above!? uh oh... time to go back to the lower limits. nothing boosts my confidence like destroying a poker game, and if i can't beat my normal limit, i know i can beat the micros.

anyway this is how i usually try to end the long bad streaks.

one more point: playing tighter and tighter may not be helping. anytime one deivates from his normal, winning style, esp when they have been losing (in my limited experience), is just asking for it. of course, if you're normally real loose, it might not be a bad idea.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:56 PM

One of the things that used to happen to me when I was running bad for a few days was that I would start playing badly.

You start running bad... then you run worse... and then you start compounding the situation by tilting like crazy. That was the case in some of my worst slumps.