Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2004, 04:05 PM

Default 88 in the BB, short-stacked close to the money

Party $50+5. 106 players left, top 80 get paid. Blinds are 400/800 and I'm in the BB with $3,800 after posting.

Folded to MP2 with $15,000 (a solid player) who raises to $2800. Folded to me, I have 88. MP2 definitely has a reasonable raising hand, say KJs or better including most pocket pairs. He will definitely call if I re-raise.

So, if I play, it's either a coin toss, or I'm well behind.

If I fold, I have a reasonable chance of making the money, but it's not a sure thing.

Should I make my stand here, or would it be better to pass this hand and wait for an opportunity with better odds and/or (even if it's just a desperate bluff) when I can be the agressor instead?
Old 12-08-2004, 04:32 PM

Default Re: 88 in the BB, short-stacked close to the money

How do you know that he'll call if you raise all-in? How do you know this isn't an out of position blind steal with a hand that he would lay down to an all-in?

If the guy just flat doesn't steal blinds and thats certainly two overcards or an overpair and you've got no folding equity then I think you ought to muck.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:52 PM

I have a good read on this guy but, but I'm really just trying to focus the discussion on my raise/fold decision (I assume nobody's calling here).

Phrased alternatively: Do I go all-in out of the money when I'm a slight favorite and have slightly positive pot odds, or should I wait for a better opportunity and risk blinding down to nothing and finishing out of the money anyway.

If I raise now and my hand holds up, I'm much better positioned to advance into the higher payout levels, whereas waiting may leave me with a better hand, but not enough chips to make a difference.

So is it gamble time, or not?
Old 12-08-2004, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How do you know that he'll call if you raise all-in? How do you know this isn't an out of position blind steal with a hand that he would lay down to an all-in?

If the guy just flat doesn't steal blinds and thats certainly two overcards or an overpair and you've got no folding equity then I think you ought to muck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only a fool would fold to his all-in here. The guy would be getting something like 7-1 or more on his money (depending on antes). It's worth calling 72o in that case.

Anyway, in this particular position, I'd fold and wait. However, you are getting close to desperate, so loosen up your pushing standards during the next orbit if you're first in the pot.