Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2004, 03:45 PM

Default Re: A light goes on . . . .

I think you're just getting deceptively lucky...not to knock mixing it up, but you're making negative EV preflop raises and then hitting disguised monster. For everytime you drag a big pot with a hand like that, you're going to be folding on the flop or loosing a medium sized pot. Everyone notices that they win big pots w/ weak hands, but it's the exception not the rule.

KP22
Old 12-08-2004, 04:11 PM

My apologies. I (we) misinterpreted the point of your post.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:13 PM

Apology accepted.

Apology extended. (When many people "misinterpret" me, I am at fault for failing to clearly express myself.)
Old 12-08-2004, 04:18 PM

That "light" that came on at the end of the tunnel may be an oncoming train!
Old 12-08-2004, 05:28 PM

Probably selective memory. Winning a big pot when you get a free play in the big blind with 4-2 stays with me longer than surviving with K-K. We lose with K-K more than we win and remember the losses.
Old 12-08-2004, 05:52 PM

And at the next level, I suppose the "big pots" (with a bad hand) can lead to players christening such garbage as a "lucky hand." You see that all the time . . . people consistently playing some particular piece of garbage like 84, 96, 34 (these are actual examples from my experience).

In fact, this "bad hands win the big pots" phenomenon may be the reason poker is so profitable. (Well same with lotto, and horse betting, and . . . the long shots pay big odds, just not big enough.)

The most amazing bad hand victory I ever saw was not mine, nor is it exactly a bad beat story for me. Preflop cap at $20/$40 4 way AA vs. QQ (me) vs. 88 vs. J9o (don't ask me why). Flop is AQ8 and of course gets capped. Turn is a blank and I am trying to slow down but the 8's still likes his hand. Capped again. Of course the river is a T, or, as they say, there would be no story. The AA resigns himself to it now and only two bets on the end. I wonder if J9o is still ahead lifetime with that hand?
Old 12-08-2004, 05:57 PM

This is, I suppose, where internet players have an advantage over B&M players, in that they can maintain accurate records on exactly,whether, and by how much, they're ahead lifetime with J-9o or not.