Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2004, 01:09 PM

Default Small Set, raggedy flop, unraised pot, early position, many limpers

2 5 nl game 10 handed, I limp utg with 3s3c (I have $495). utg+2 limps, player to the left of the cutoff limps, CO limps, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks (pot=$30)

Flop 7h 3d 2d
SB checks BB checks
Should I go ahead and lead here? How much? The pot? $20 or 15$?
I check, utg+2 checks, CO-1 ($775) makes the minimum $5 bet, CO and BB both call.

$45 in the pot, What's my move here? I raised to $30, which probably chases away hands that I want in like 76 and A7, but also some hands like 56. Is this a bad idea? The original better calls everyone else folds.

Turn ($95)
8s
How much do I lead for here? I kind of felt when he bet the minimum on the flop he had a draw (Ive seen a lot of guys do that on this site). I bet $75 and he calls.

River ($245)
6c

I check. Pretty bad, but I was hoping he would bet a busted draw or value bet a hand like 78d or 67d, 45 is a long shot but a mild concern. Should I make a full bet here or try and sell it with a small bet to a mediocre hand?

Any feedback you guys could give me would be appreciated.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:23 PM

Default Re: Small Set, raggedy flop, unraised pot, early position, many limpers

Yeah - I think you need to lead the flop here - Bet the pot - This doesn't define your hand like the c/r does. I don't like the check on the end - lead for $150 or so and fold to a reraise...You seem positive you're ahead here, so maybe you had a read, but a possible 4/5 would scare me a little.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:58 AM

Ditto.

You gotta lead the flop here. The check raise defines your hand.

I wouldn't check the river after the flop check-raise because unless you opponant is really bad he will not bet out here for fear of trips. However you might get some valuse from A7 or 2pr that inexplicably stuck around.

Lead out with your big hands. Lead out with your missed hands. This way you might get action when you hit and will take down some pots that you shouldnt on the flop.

-Steve
Old 12-09-2004, 06:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You gotta lead the flop here. The check raise defines your hand

[/ QUOTE ]
The check raise doesn't define your hand, because it actually defines the straight, which is what you're afraid of here. Bet the flop, bet the turn HARD, push or check call the river and pray he wasn't open ended on a 4/5 just calling you down.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:15 AM

Not sure I understand you here - There is no straight on the flop. Do you often see people checkraising OESDs?
Old 12-09-2004, 07:27 AM

IMO, the only hand that his opponent has right now (that will beat him) is 4/5. They would have played the trips hard with a raise by the turn with him betting, but I could see a justification for playing the open ended straight draw to the end with the intention of breaking an opponent if you hit. His opponents limped, he didn't make it too expensive(less than pot sized each bet) on the flop and turn, so the draws are still potentially in it.

If he lost, I think it was to 4/5. The river is where money is going to be saved, imo. If you check to him and he checks behind you, he would have folded to any bet anyways. If he pushes, I would read it as a buy on a single pair. A 3/4-5/4 pot size bet reads to me like 5/4, outside chance at trips.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:51 AM

Whatever - You totally lost me - We're talking about his check raise on the flop - nothing about the turn or river. I didn't like his c/r on the flop, that's it.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:04 AM

Sorry LA, thought I was clear on my opinion that c/r was a mistake. You're right, bet the flop.