Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2004, 06:08 PM

Default A Confession

Sometimes when I flop some sort of draw that I decide needs to be bet, I'll cover up the board cards with a piece of paper and bet it all the way, including the river, without paying any attention to what cards come. I've found that I end up stealing a lot this way when I don't hit, and of course value betting when I do. Not watching what cards hit helps me have courage to bet. I know I'm a bad boy. Please flame away.
Old 12-08-2004, 01:45 AM

Default Re: A Confession

That's kind of funny. I do something similar. When I have the button, I cover up my hand and if it gets folded to me I play the whole hand blind unless I run into resistance. I steal alot, but I also make some wierd 2 pair hands. I think this can be a profitable strategy. Thoughts?
Old 12-08-2004, 01:47 AM

Why don't you just play solid correct poker?
Old 12-08-2004, 02:27 AM

Doing it the way they do is much more humourous.

I must say, that's just awesome.

It may be profitable, but certainly not more profitable than if you just looked.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That's kind of funny. I do something similar. When I have the button, I cover up my hand and if it gets folded to me I play the whole hand blind unless I run into resistance. I steal alot, but I also make some wierd 2 pair hands. I think this can be a profitable strategy. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

i think instead of "steal alot" you mean "lose alot".
Old 12-08-2004, 10:25 AM

I think the play is profitable because I have a tight image. If I was a maniac in other positions, I would get no respect. I steal the blinds frequently and if I'm called, I am usually able to take the pot down with a flop or turn bet. Like I said, if I meet resistance I will look at my cards and decide if I should continue with the hand. It's great when you get checkraised on the turn and find your 94o has made two pair. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-08-2004, 11:25 AM

unless you are completely insane, it would be impossible for you to do better without looking at your cards than it would be for you to do while you knew what your cards were. if knowing your hand makes you play badly, then maybe poker isn't for you heheh.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:03 AM

I think you should look if only because if you pair, you may want to check.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:08 AM

Hehe, I did this covering of my hole cards thing exactly once. It was a tournament, I was short stacked and in the big blind. I knew I had to put all my chips in the pot this hand preflop regardless of what I had and what the action was. I also knew I might wuss out if I saw my hole cards. So I covered them up and shoved the money in, with hilarious consequences.

Board: 3c 3h 7s 9s 8s, and I see the chips being pushed to the other guy. Meanwhile everyone around the table is saying "wow" and "omg" which confused me.

When I got the hand history I realised what had happened.

I had 3d 3s.

He had Js Ts.

At least by covering my cards I was spared the agony of this beat.

Guy.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:16 AM

You would not have to be insane to do better, just have a minor psychological obstacle (such as not value-betting enough) to overcome. Long-term though, it is better to deal with it positively rather than this negativce approach.