Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2004, 07:59 PM

Default Question about Strategy against \"All-In happy\" new players

In the Paul Phillips interview on Poker Lizard that I read recently, Paul makes a very interesting point, which unfortunately the interviewer did not follow up on. So, I'd like for all of you to follow up for him.

Here's the Q and A in question:

PokerLizard: Do you think the WPT/WSOP shows are hurting new players since the viewer only gets to see a bunch of all-in play?

Paul: Unquestionably.

My question is: what is the best way to hurt someone whose only play is the all-in?
My corollary: will playing with this type of player unquestionably increase your variance?

Godfather
Old 12-07-2004, 11:28 PM

Default Re: Question about Strategy against \"All-In happy\" new players

It funny because I ran into someone just like this today on PokerStars. He initially drove me off a pair of Js on one of the first hands. What I decided to do was wait and see what types of hands he played and then look for a chance to play back. He really over played A10 and small pairs. I came in from the button with AQ he pushed all-in and I called. He turned over A10. I think you need to be patient, observe what they are play and then pick a spot where you think you have beat an call. They may have a strong hand or they may out draw you with a weaker one but I think you need to be aggressive when you think the moments right.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:25 AM

My question is: what is the best way to hurt someone whose only play is the all-in?

call them with a better hand, and do it before another player does it for you.

My corollary: will playing with this type of player unquestionably increase your variance?

yes, and also your winrate.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:44 AM

Here's an interesting article on that subject by Steve Badger, talking about the all-in strategy in tournaments, especially the WSOP: Changing of the Guard

Some interesting quotes:

[ QUOTE ]
To win a No Limit Holdem event with over 2500 players, you need to have played well and gotten extremely lucky, simply because that is the nature of Holdem, but also because that is how a whole generation of players are learning how to play the game -- "I go all-in". Race after race, virtual coin flip after coin flip...

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
And some previously successful players HATE this way to play, this "Internet way" to play. Phil Hellmuth is notorious for not wanting to commit all his chips. He wants to see flops, make reads, and outplay his opponents. That is a great skill he has. But bad news for Phil, lots of the new breed of players don't want to let him use his skills. They will shove all-in. If they don't get called they win a smallish pot. If they do get called, they will take their chances with 50/50 or 60/40 or 30/70 races.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Major No Limit Holdem tournaments are becoming like $3/6 Holdem games in Los Angeles... a large chunk of the skill required to win is very basic and simple, but it is absolute, pure skill where you consistently take the best of it into showdown situations and absorb fluctuations when you have bad luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

My take is that one or more all-in maniacs change holdem from a postflop game to a preflop game. That seems to be what Badger is saying in that last quote. Outplaying your opponent on the turn and the river become pointless in a race. The game becomes one of probability and hand selection. Reads can be important in putting your all-in opponent on a range of hands, but it's hard to read someone who doesn't know the strength of his own hand.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

call them with a better hand, and do it before another player does it for you.

yes, and also your winrate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. You can push with a lot more when you know you're ahead because they're more likely to call too.