Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2004, 08:02 PM

Default QQ...along comes the K

Background: I'm working through SSH and in an attempt to be more aggressive I fear I may becoming "aggro for the sake of being aggro" from time to time. This hand was from a 2+2 game and I also think I pushed this hand because I didn't want to be pushed around, but then I think "against anyone else I think I would have played the same line." Opponent VPIP 20.25, PFR 8.86, Post Flop agg 1.16. Comments?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, Hero calls.

(Above is where I entered the "Am I getting pushed around" game.)

Turn: (7.75 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9.75 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.75 BB <font color="blue"> </font> <font color="blue"> </font> <font color="blue"> </font>
Old 12-07-2004, 08:36 PM

Default Re: QQ...along comes the K

Looks like this flop is pointless aggression to me. I don't know who MP1 was, but his postflop aggression number looks similar to mine. A 2+2er will not goto war with you with just top pair after you 3-bet preflop. He might have a set or a straight or 2 pair or just a draw. With any of these hands, 3-betting the flop is pretty useless. The 2+2er probably won't cap the flop with a draw either, so there is no way I'm going to a showdown here.

Shill
Old 12-07-2004, 08:53 PM

I would call the flop 3-bet and fold to the turn bet when no help came. Given your opponent's general tight/aggressive style and the way he is playing this hand, it looks like a monster.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:57 PM

There are a lot of ways that flop could've hit your 3-betting hand, but your opponent checkraised anyway. That would have me worried. Maybe MP1 is semi-bluffing something like A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (which will frequently go on to beat you anyway), but I think it's more likely that you're behind.

You do have draws to a gutshot, a backdoor flush, and a set, however. 3-betting in the hopes of getting a free card has some merit but your 2+2 opponent didn't cooperate. (Actually, I think you'd be most likely to get a free card if your opponent decided to go for a second checkraise on the turn.)

Anyway, I think I'd just call the flop checkraise.

The flop action has me thinking you're most likely behind. Still, you may have six outs (or 5 against A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and 4 against KK). Against some hands you don't have the odds to call (and this is particularly true for KQ or QTs), but I think there's a good enough chance that you do have the odds to go ahead and take a look at the river.

On the river, I might make the crying call too, but I doubt you're good often enough here.