Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2004, 11:08 AM

Default Re: Typical preflop situation

Dude, it's an absurdly easy call.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:27 AM

You need to collect around 4 bb:s postflop, that shouldn't be too hard? /v
Old 12-07-2004, 11:35 AM

I call. You are getting over 5:1 on your call, and easily have the implied odds to play this for set value.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You raise from CO+1 with 66, CO 3 bets, button caps, back to you - what is your play? Another 2+2er and I disagreed on this and I'd like to hear your opinions.
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't close. You call. The 3-bettor is certain to call, so you'll be getting nearly 7:1 current odds to call. And, of course, you'll easily pick up a few extra bets if you hit a set.

It is closer if playing in Vegas, because of the 5-bet cap, but still a call, I think.
Old 12-07-2004, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW - I would muck 66 PF here unless it's an unusually loose-passive table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why raise 66 against loose passives here? I would think you would rather raise against very tight players to pick up the blinds without a flop.
Old 12-07-2004, 03:12 PM

Hi Clark,

I totally agree with a call here, but I have a question. Is this an automuck on the flop if you do not hit a set, or a straight draw.

What if the flop comes A,2,4 or 3,4,7. I am probably a little tighter than most, but I fold in most situations. There are 13 SB after you call the raise, and the CO calls the cap. That gives you enough to call a bet with an inside straight draw, but what if the betting is aggressive. Just curious on how you play postflop when put in tough spots such as these.

Thanks
Old 12-07-2004, 03:23 PM

Any straight draw gives you 6 pretty clean outs, so obviously you would want to continue. A best case scenario would be a flop of 345, if the 2 hits the aces may go wild and pay off big time.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This does change things.

One of the players IS the BB so that is one fewer bet in the pot.

From LP1 (CO-1 or LP3 or whatever it is) it looks like a battle for the blinds. your open-raise can just be viewed as a steal-attempt.

From EMP you have to assume the other players (if they are decent) are giving you credit for a good hand.
If both the LP and the BB are good players (and thus, should know that your raise from EMP means something) then I recommend folding for 2-cold back to you.

FWIW - I would muck 66 PF here unless it's an unusually loose-passive table. I might raise 77 though....and am very likely to raise 88. So I don't entirely disagree with raising 66 here....it's just a shade outside my realm of aggressiveness that's all.

Interesting how I view this situation as having significantly changed with just a couple of minor alterations to the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is interesting that you view it that way, because honestly the way he described it doesn't change much.
-James
Old 12-07-2004, 06:10 PM

Easy call for the reasons articulated by the other posters. In addition, you could flop an open ender with 10 outs. Add to this the fact that it's not good for your image to fold pre-flop after you two-bet. Your opponents will be emboldened to take shots at you in the future.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:21 PM

Default would it? why

chances of set over set increase a great deal if its aa, kk, 66