Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2004, 12:34 PM

Default A couple of moves shorthanded

Six-handed PP 15/30 and the button has been pushing pretty hard. He steal-raises and I three-bet in the small blind with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Not something I'll generally try, especially because I've been trying to follow through on the flop and not having much luck. But here I take a different tack by going for the more credible turn move.

Does anyone just call preflop?

The different tack in this case resulted from the fact that the BB cold-called. Tough not to put him on a middle pair or random Broadway cards.

The flop comes 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I bet and both opponents call.

The turn is J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Check, check, and button bets. I raise.

Results to follow, but what do you think of the play?

JimmyV
Old 12-06-2004, 01:44 PM

Default Re: A couple of moves shorthanded

I think its expensive, why not lead the turn again and fold to a raise?
Old 12-06-2004, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think its expensive, why not lead the turn again and fold to a raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because both players will probably call the turn with a collective twelve outs or more if I'm ahead, and BB will also call with a middle pair that has me drawing to five outs. I get no information by leading and have relatively little folding equity (especially against button).

This question was the reason I posted the hand; comments welcome.

JimmyV
Old 12-06-2004, 02:50 PM

I'm not crazy about it, but it is probably your best chance of winning the pot now that you are in that situation. I think you got yourself into the situation by 3-betting preflop with a weak ace out of position.

If you really want to take a stand against this guy why not wait until he is the CO, and you are the button? You have a great seat in this game, acting right after someone who is pushing it hard, use it.

My strategy would be to wait for decent showdown hands (things like 55, AT... A5o is a stretch but okay if the guy is open raising with anything) and 3-bet to isolate him when you are in LP.

As for your hand out of the SB. A lot of times I'll fold that, but if he is nutty I'd prefer a line where you call preflop, and maybe checkraise the button on the flop when you make a pair. Most times you will be out of position with one overcard against an aggressive player, tough spot.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:18 PM

I think it is reasonable. The big blind is the person most likely to have a hand that beats yours, and you really put him to the test. The river is going to suck, though. Money is probably only going in if you are beat.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not crazy about it, but it is probably your best chance of winning the pot now that you are in that situation. I think you got yourself into the situation by 3-betting preflop with a weak ace out of position.

If you really want to take a stand against this guy why not wait until he is the CO, and you are the button? You have a great seat in this game, acting right after someone who is pushing it hard, use it.

My strategy would be to wait for decent showdown hands (things like 55, AT... A5o is a stretch but okay if the guy is open raising with anything) and 3-bet to isolate him when you are in LP.

As for your hand out of the SB. A lot of times I'll fold that, but if he is nutty I'd prefer a line where you call preflop, and maybe checkraise the button on the flop when you make a pair. Most times you will be out of position with one overcard against an aggressive player, tough spot.

[/ QUOTE ]
Great response..I agree with everything
Old 12-06-2004, 09:46 PM

Default tough situation but

a raise there is better than a call, knock the other guy out, i think i might fold though, whos calling 3bets in the bb is he good???