Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2004, 11:47 AM

Default Where to start?

Newbie here, any tips on where should I start with this great website? I have been playing hold em poker with my buddies for about 4 months now, doing fairly decent, but I want to learn how to crush the games and become better. I have started to read a couple of poker books, but looking to increase my knowledge quickly.

TIA
Old 12-06-2004, 12:05 PM

Default Re: Where to start?

It really depends on what games you are playing.

If its ring games then Micro Limits/Small Stakes tend are the likely destinations for hand reviews, etc. The One-Table tournament section is best if you are playing mainly SnG's.

Books/Software will direct you towards how best to spend your cash on learning the game. The Zoo (Internet Forum) will show you where all the bonus money is available from whilst entertaining/infuriating and depressing you at the same time!

My tip - dip into all of them initially. You'll soon find which ones are most relevant to you at the time. In 6 months time you might be spending time elsewhere as your skill level/objectives/chosen games evolve. I now feel like a virtual stranger in some of the forums where I was posting regularly a few months ago.

Sheriff
Old 12-06-2004, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My tip - dip into all of them initially. You'll soon find which ones are most relevant to you at the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Best answer you'll get.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:09 PM

just post in the one that seems most relevant to you and your game, but I can't stress enough how much posting helps. Don't worry if you sound stupid, ask questions if you don't understand something. Generally if you are being perceived as new, but yearning for any info, people will more than likely answer any questions ranging from insanely easy to absurdly complex. Posting is fun too!
Old 12-06-2004, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have started to read a couple of poker books, but looking to increase my knowledge quickly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll add my humble opinion to this particular issue. Since you are relatively new, you will learn more and learn faster by reading the same book twice versus reading 2 books once. As you progress, this might not be so, but for now, I'll guarantee it is.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:40 AM

that's really good advice. i think i get more out of each re-read of TOP than i get out of each new book i read. i've understood this but never heard it articulated.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:52 AM

I see a lot of acronyms being using on the boards, is there a place I can go to get a listing of what each means? Things like MTT, and the seat positions like Hero & UTG?
Old 12-07-2004, 05:38 PM

There's an abbreviations section on the left hand side of the screen (which, to be fair, could do with an update).

Otherwise, just do a search for the term you are looking for. Its probably best to restrict it to within the beginners forum which is where most of the definitions will appear (these questions get asked a lot in here).

To start you off:

MTT - Multi Table Tournament
NB: On a similar theme, SnG means a Sit n Go tournament and, unless otherwise specified, the name tends to imply its a single table tournament (ie 9 or 10 players max). You therefore don't see STT or OTT for single or one table tournaments.

Hero - Used in hand descriptions to define the player whose play is being described (normally the one making the post).

UTG - Under the Gun - The first player to act in a Holdem/Omaha hand, seated immediately to the left of the big blind. Its called this to reflect that this is the worst position to be in as you have absolutely no information on the likely holdings of the other players, hence your requirements to play the hand should be much tighter than when acting in late position.

Sheriff