Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2004, 12:22 PM

Default Re: adjusting to life after SSH

I am also suspect for overapplying. I am running -9 bb/100 over 2000 hands since starting the book. The loss is not all due to bad play since I had flushes only about 1.5% of my hands of which 60% were beaten and 0.5 % of full houses. Two pairs is almost a looser for me. Got big starting pairs way below expectation.

During the bus ride this morning, I had a look at the hand quiz and noticed that I am playing overcards too aggressive, raising too much and not giving up soon enough.

I took it too much to heart that I should not give too much credit to the other players (no, the book is not exactly saying this but I "understood" the book this way, it made me think this way).

Also, I think by reading the book I thought I am now better than I actually am and that the other players are fishier than they actually are.

I'll do some more evaluating of my hands and will plug one hole at a time. Multi-tabling will be cut back to 2 tables max for a while.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:36 PM

Yeah, you are playing tables that are slightly tighter than the SSHE tables that are discussed in the book. 30% means 3 people to a flop on average. If you are at a table this tight, i'd leave. I use the external game time window and if i'm at a table that doesn't have at least 4 people that are VPIP over 40, preferably over 50, I leave and search out more fertile hunting grounds. The worst thing you can do is sit at a table with 7 people all at around 25% or less VPIP. If you are good, you might still win, but you better have cards to do it with.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
During the bus ride this morning, I had a look at the hand quiz and noticed that I am playing overcards too aggressive, raising too much and not giving up soon enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I'm doing the same things. I think those things are the common traps based on the suggested strategies. I mean, you're supposed to be aggressive with marginal hands in large pots but there's no concrete definition of large pots and there's a thin line between aggressive and stupid.

Seems like overcards, middle pairs, and mid range draws are the difference between the "break even/win a little" range and the "I'm crushing this game" range.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:49 PM

I play pokerroom 1-2 all the time. I play like it says in SSH. I smash that game. Everyone is tight/passive. Just keep reading, you'll get it eventually [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Derek
Old 12-06-2004, 12:55 PM

Hi all

Some basic assumptions that have worked for me in appling SSH: Online (1-2, 2-4, 3-6) play tight limit strategy, Live (2-4, 3-6, 4-8) play loose limit strategy. Online it is tougher to find games that meet the loose criteria. One thing that I find tough is finding an online game that simulates a live game at the levels that play, maybee play money.

Another piont that detirmes how much you will follow Ed's montra is pot size. I play much more aggressvly in large pots in attempt to buy outs. It still sucks when you loose a big pot but in the end it pays. Also what is the quality of your draw w/second pair? Backdoor str8 or flush, What do you think your chances are if you do spike your second pair, what are the chances that he's betting a naked AK, Is he one of us who will bet a draw, or is he the run of the mill buffcatcher who calls with any piece of the board all the way. Factor all this in and use SSH to take maximum advantage of them.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
..there's a thin line between aggressive and stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I think this is it in a nutshell.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I'm doing the same things. I think those things are the common traps based on the suggested strategies. I mean, you're supposed to be aggressive with marginal hands in large pots but there's no concrete definition of large pots and there's a thin line between aggressive and stupid.

Seems like overcards, middle pairs, and mid range draws are the difference between the "break even/win a little" range and the "I'm crushing this game" range.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, I have crossed that line a few times. One thing I had to look closer at was "the action". Are they just calling my aggression or playing back at me? Even in the loosest games you have to re-evaluate if they are playing back at you and you only have a marginal hand or draw. Otherwise, we may be making the very mistakes we are trying to exploit.

Was reading a thread yesterday that correctly pointed out the error of assuming all low limit games are ultra loose. I have played in some very solid .50/$1 games and played in some ultra loose $5/$10 games.