Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2004, 12:47 PM

Default 5-10 NL Turning Stone hand

Hey guys, wanted to post this hand in question to see how I played this hand, and if there was a way to extract even more than I got out of it, but before I get into the hand I would like to give you a little background on the game. I was in this game back in May, so my memory may be a little fuzzy, but for the most part everything should be accurate.

I live about a 6-7 hour drive from Turning stone and was there for a week for their tournaments. Since they were holding these tourneys this week they decided to run the 5-10 NL game everyday, they usually run it only on Fridays from what I know, this was either the first or second day playing in this game. The game consisted of me, 3 of my friends who I met up with there, who are also out of town, and the rest was all 'old' regulars. I say this because there was noticeable tension and hostility from the 'old' regulars and the 'kids' out of towners. The regulars would continually try to gun for the 'kids', and rarely play against each other. It was an interesting game to say the least. Also in this game, even though it is $5-10, it has a $20 minimum bring in, so if you want to 'limp' you have to toss out at least $20.

My read on the player in question is this: He seems fairly aggressive, and bets big, usually always the pot, and rarely even overpot. I haven't seen him showdown any bluffs, or ever show a hand unless he had to, so my read is limited, but his aggression was usually enough to take down the pot on the flop and turn. One of his weaknesses I believe however is he doesn't know when to put on the brakes, and I've seen him pay off players too many times. My stack in this game is roughly $1850-1900, I sat with $1000 originaly but managed to double through on a big hand, and I have my opponent covered, he had roughly 1200-1500. So with that said here's the hand:

Hero: T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Game is 8 or 9 handed, everyone folds to this guy who is the CO, he tosses out $20, I am on the button and reraise to $70. In retrospect I really have no idea why I made such a small reraise, and why I made one at all. But anyways the blinds fold and he calls the extra $50.

The Flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I am thinking bingo, now how to lure him in. He checks and I bet $100, he calls fairly quickly, not much hesitation. I figure him for a draw, with JQ being most likely, I believe if he had a King he may have raised here.

Turn: T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Wow! I was thinking this is great card, but I wasn't sure how I would get him to pay me off, if he was on draw I should make a really weak bet, or just check behind, and if he has a King he is fairly likely to keep paying me off, but however in this particular hand I just got the feeling he wasn't calling a big bet, can't really explain why, must have been my spidey senses or something, lol. Anyways I decided, and probably too quickly to just check behind.

River: A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Ok I am thinking this is the perfect card, it completes every draw, the straight, flush, everything, and I am sitting on the nuts. Now he acts fairly quickly and fires out $200, now I am thinking how much is he willing to pay off, with which I believed was JQ. I hesitated a moment and raised to $600, he looked at me real quick, hesitated for a second or two and called me, which seemed like a fairly quick call. I showed him my quads and he seemed fairly stunned, and mucked with his hands shaking. Funny thing is only 3 hands prior to this hand he had Quad Tens himself and won a decent sized pot, good shuffling the dealers got at Turning Stone [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] So what do you guys think, did I get the max, would anyone play it differently, would appreciate thoughts on every street, thanks.

On a side note - towards the end of the night when the game got roughly 5 handed, maybe 6. One of my buddies who is notorious for trash talking, on and offline, picked up a pot on a bluff, showed it was talking to one of the regulars. Out of nowhere another regular basically back handed the kid and then was held back by 3 other people. All the floorpeople came over and discussed the situation, never bothered to look at the tape, and everyone there sided with the regular including the dealer that they didn't 'see' what happened and don't believe he hit the kid, and funniest part they let the guy get off with a little warning and he was allowed to the stay, but the game broke after this incident anyways. Just goes to show you how intense and hostile this game was all night, very little talking going on during the game all night. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 12-06-2004, 01:02 PM

Default Re: 5-10 NL Turning Stone hand

I watched this game about 3 weeks ago for a bit, but there weren't any young guys playing, maybe one. The entire table was silent, and old, very old. The other thing that I found interesting was there wasn't a max buy-in and some of the grumpy old farts had thousands infront of them from the start. It wouldn't surprise me to see one of those oldies smacking someone.

As for the hand, I believe that you could've gotten more out of this player if you bet the turn when you hit your quads. He called the flop bet fairly quickly and if you believed he was drawing he would still call another bet on the turn, as long as it's not too big. The check on the turn would've set off alarms to me if I was your opponent. Building the pot a little bigger on the turn would've made your opponent bet larger on the river when he made his hand and since he seemed pretty committed to it, he would've also called a larger raise. Nice hand.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:10 PM

Default Re: 5-10 NL Turning Stone hand

If you put him on JQ I think that you need to raise about $150 on the turn here. I dont believe that he will put you on a T because of your preflop raise and he probably thinks that you would make a larger raise with KK (or AA if he indeed had AK or KQ) so I see no reason why he would fold to your $150 here after calling on the flop. (In another situation, had I read my opponant for AK I might make a bigger bet here, $300 or so 'representing' that I am representing a ten with my pocket jacks and hoping to get a reraise...)

Had you bet the flop you would have been able to make a bigger river raise (although it probably would have been checked to you) If he bet $300 to you on the river I would make it $1000 straight, if he checked I would bet about $750, you might not get a raise by the straight but you lock up money from AK or AQ and would get a call from JQ.