Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2004, 04:08 AM

Default Okay, I admit it...

Okay, I'm a semi-newbie to the game. I've posted a few times here which will evidence my relative inexperience.

I'm here to admit that today, I played some bad poker. From November 27th to December 4th, I made $700+ playing $3/6 online at Party Poker (about 3,300 hands in this time span). I tried to remain humble about this streak though as I knew that I was getting some great cards. I figured a cold streak would come at some point.

December 5th was the cold streak. I lost $170 today. Rats. Well, knew the bad cards were coming. Towards the end of my session, I started to go on tilt and piss away some money I shouldn't have.

I fired up PokerTracker to analyze my play and confirm that I was getting bad cards. WRONG. I jotted down SIX hands where horrible, horrible play on my part cost me a total of $114.50. I made notes to myself (shouldn't have been in the hand in the first place, lost on the flop and over-played, etc.).

I browsed the psychology forum here for the first time to see how people handle their losses and handle tilt. I'm proud to say I've learned a lot -- this website is a great resource. Leaving the game before I pissed away too much was a good start. Then again, reading how much some others have lost here kind of eases the pain a bit too (I know, I know...quit cryin' kid).

So, ladies and gentlemen, I'm here to proudly say, I played horribly today, and I can admit it. Because of that, I lost a good chunk of change (hey, I'm a college student). I've written a note to myself to maintain more control. Maybe I'll even take a day off.

No specific point to this post -- just thought I'd share my thoughts and feelings.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled program [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-06-2004, 04:27 AM

Default Re: Okay, I admit it...

good post. if not for other people here, then at least for yourself. good luck in the future.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:42 AM

Default Re: Okay, I admit it...

You're wrong. Horrible play on 6 hands of 3/6 is unable to cost you $114. You are overestimating your bad plays even though you understand that you can't overestimate your good plays (that is, just because you won 20 bets in one pot with AA does not mean AA is a 20 bb/hand hand.

So when you call with 72o and lose a $35 pot that doesn't mean you lost 6 BB with that hand in theory.

-Michael