Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2004, 08:34 AM

Default Professional Poker

I know this question may sound stupid, but how would someone be considered a professional poker player? I was just curious if there were any certain requirements or certain earnings that you had to have before you could be considered a pro.
Old 12-05-2004, 09:08 AM

Default Re: Professional Poker

I would say a player is professional when poker becomes his main source of income.

Let me give you an example away from the world of poker. If I was an accountant and was also a keen photographer who sold photos to magazines and made more money from the freelance photography work ... yes, then that guy could call himself a professional photographer.
Old 12-05-2004, 10:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would say a player is professional when poker becomes his main source of income.

Let me give you an example away from the world of poker. If I was an accountant and was also a keen photographer who sold photos to magazines and made more money from the freelance photography work ... yes, then that guy could call himself a professional photographer.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if the accountant/photographer made just a little less at the photography, would that make him "unprofessional"?
Old 12-05-2004, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that is semi proffessional. for a proffessional, that is his sole source of income. I think...
Old 12-05-2004, 12:11 PM

There is a written and verbal test you have to pass. You also have to accumilate at least 23 minutes of total airtime on TV, or have at least 3 aired rants about how the "amateurs" don't know how to play.
Old 12-05-2004, 01:41 PM

I giggled.
Old 12-05-2004, 02:31 PM

Why is money the determining factor? Is Greenstien only professional when he is playing cash games? Seeing he donates his tourney winnings? But, I would think if one is gainfully 'self-employed' as a gambler/poker player whether it is his/her main source would then...

Is Moneymaker yet amateur because he has not (at last report) quit his day job? What? $2.5 mill is not enough? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-05-2004, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is money the determining factor? Is Greenstien only professional when he is playing cash games? Seeing he donates his tourney winnings? But, I would think if one is gainfully 'self-employed' as a gambler/poker player whether it is his/her main source would then...

Is Moneymaker yet amateur because he has not (at last report) quit his day job? What? $2.5 mill is not enough? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the real answer is who cares? Why do people spend so much time obsessing over the idea of whether or not a player is professional? If you're ever a professional player, you'll know you are. Does it really matter otherwise?
Old 12-05-2004, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What if the accountant/photographer made just a little less at the photography, would that make him "unprofessional"?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a number of well know professional players you see on tv who reportedly now make more money away from the tables--endorsments, books, appearances etc, than they do at the tables... Are thes guys not professional anymore if they have these outside sources of income?

There are a lot of definitions of pro I'd find perfectly acceptable, but a real good one, or at least a good starting point, would be if you filed your taxes as a professional gambler. Note you can make more money in other endeavors than from your poker and still file as a professional gambler.

--Zetack
Old 12-05-2004, 02:54 PM

Another problem with the 'primary source of income' definition is students situation. [censored], poker is my only source of income, but i'm not a professional poker player. I'm a student.

I'm with the 'it doesn't matter' crowd.